Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Dec 2012 14:10:15 -0800
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Mexican insurance, was: Baja Whales 2013 trip planned, Mar 1-10
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

Mexico is comprised of many states, like the US. Each state has its own laws and then there are Federal laws as well. AFAIK, the only liability insurance that is recognized as legal in Mexico has to be underwritten by a Mexican licensed insurance company. Some Mexican states require all vehicles to have insurance and some states don't. The State of Baja does, only just recently. It was always a good idea to carry it and now it is an infraction not to.

You don't need any vehicle permit to enter Baja, or to travel from Baja into Southern Baja, another state. In the mainland areas of Mexico there are very different rules about this.

As far as visas go, it depends on where and how you will be traveling and for how long. In Baja I have only been required to show a visa in one place, the state border crossing between Baja and Southern Baja. It is a major inspection point and they can be strict. Our whale trip crosses this state border and thus we will have our papers in order. We plan to stop at the US/Mexico border on the way to get visas.

Mark

Dave Mcneely wrote: > U.S. insurance is valid within the 25km limit for regular border crossing without a Mexican visa if that is specifically included in the policy coverage. Beyond that 25km limit (the point where you may have to undergo vehicle inspection depending on red or green light) only a Mexican policy is valid. It may be bought in the U.S. from shops near the border, for example, Sanford's. At least this was the situation the the last time I traveled by auto in Mexico. Of course, one has to register the vehicle for travel in Mexico also. Are they still requiring a credit card deposit to insure that the vehicle returns to the U.S.? mcneely > > ---- neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >> I imagine Mark and Anne would make mention of this in the list of >> requirements, but while it's on my mind..... >> >> I was surprised to learn that ICBC vehicle insurance (Province of BC) is >> NOT valid in Mexico. >> >> I have no idea what various US states and carriers do in this regard. >> >> With ICBC, you phone them, they make an internal adjustment so the vehicle >> license is valid in Mexico. After that, one then gets insurance from a >> Mexican insurance provider. >> >> Guess I'm saying check with your insurance provider to make sure your >> vehicle will be insured while in Mexico. >> >> Neil. >> >> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 7:39 AM, mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: >> >>> ** >>> >>> >>> is slightly cheaper and fuel quality is not an issue. We will cover >>> perhaps 1500 miles within Mexico. You must have a passport to re-enter >>> the US. Everyone will be responsible for their own expenses as we go. >>> >>> If you are interested in taking part in this trip please contact us to >>> be put on the list for further info as well as requirements, >>> recommendations, and restrictions. >>> >>> >> -- >> Neil n >> >> 65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp >> >> '88 Slate Blue Westy to be named. >> >> '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >> >> Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group: >> >> http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines > > -- > David McNeely >