Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:36:32 -0600
From:         Mike South <msouth@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: You know how just when you think you're wrapping up,
              the radiator bleeder screw head shears off?
Comments: To: Tom Carchrae <tom@carchrae.net>

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Tom Carchrae <tom@carchrae.net> wrote:

> You might keep trying that route - it is much easier than lowering the > rad (and draining coolant). Try just turning with just your finger > tip or perhaps a bit of rubber over it. If it is rough at all, it'll > keep spinning - there is not much pressure on it, unless the threads > got mangled. > > Again, thanks for the tip. Tried that, but no luck. However, I have the advantage of having a bunch of sons so I commandeered a couple of them and we lowered it and I was able to get the drill in there enough to get a hole drilled for the extractor. Came out pretty easily, but was never really finger-unscrewable until maybe the very end. Did this without removing the hoses--I put a 2x4 on my jack and when we lowered it we let it rest on that while I did the drilling operation.

The washers at the top were in pretty good shape but the ones on the bottom weren't. I bought some 3/8 x 1 1/2 x 1/8 rubber washers and laid the old ones on top and roughly cut away the extra. I don't think that was really necessary, but I didn't want to find out if it was when I was down there trying to hold it up and screw it in at the same time (only one kid was still up when I did the replacement).

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

mike