Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Dec 2012 20:58:29 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Upper steering column grease recommendation and what else to
              do while replacing ignition switch
Comments: To: David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>

yourwelcome David. another favorite 'horn trick'is when hastily inserting theignition key and getting another key inthe horn contact area and making the horn blow ..that's always a fun surprise.

there are hundreds of spots on vanagons that don't get attention or lubrication. half the time I am +the first person ever* to lube something. I even see desparatelysqueaky sliding doors after the van has been to a shop .. even for a whole engine install sometimes. ....and could anyone find 4 seconds to shoot the door sliding spots ? ...evidently 'nope.' I see it all the time. If nothing else I just shoot a squirt of WD into the horn contact area. No need to take it all apart.. except to check the condition of the horn contact right. WD has *never* done me wrong on any electrical contacts, not for the last 40+ years anyway.

scott

On 12/12/2012 8:34 PM, David Clarkson wrote: > My experience as an automotive service advisor and service manager has > told me the same thing. Most people don't think about their horn until > it won't stop blowing. Those stories are always entertaining as is > finding the fuse and pulling it when the come in with the horn stuck > when they are about 4th in line to get into the service lane and > getting everyone else all worked up! Or it doesn't work at all and > they have to get the "Watch for finger" bumper sticker. Thanks for the > grease recommendation Scott. > > David Clarkson > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> > To: David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM> > Cc: vanagon <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Wed, Dec 12, 2012 9:54 pm > Subject: Re: Upper steering column grease recommendation and what else > to do while replacing ignition switch > > Hi .. > I just use a good wheel bearing grease on that bearing. > yes, the steering wheels just > slip right off the splines. Never saw > one that didn't on a vanagon. > > > Nice to read that someone is > paying attention to ensuring the longevity of their horn contact ring.. > Mostly they never get > thought about at all, it appears to me. > They wear in > the 'one spot' of course....since the > steering wheel is in the straight > ahead position the majority of the > time. > lol...there are > a few vans where you have to > turn the steering wheel a little > to get the horn to work. > Fortunately > that is a part we can easily get. > > scott > www.turbovans.com > > > On 12/12/2012 1:31 PM, David Clarkson > wrote: > > I am replacing my ignition switch since mine has almost 300k > on it and it's just a good idea IMHO. The part is very affordable and > so far the whole repair has been much simpler than I > imagined-didn't need a steering wheel puller at all. While I was > looking at things I noticed the original solidified grease on the > upper steering column bearing that is exposed and thought that I > might re-pack it with some new grease. I was thinking of a moly > grease but would like the group's recommendations. I was also > thinking of cleaning the horn button contacts and connections and > lightly coating them with some di-electric grease. Any other > things that I might inspect, lubricate or do while I am in this > neighborhood? The van is down for a few days awaiting a starter > rebuild so I want to do it all while I'm in there. Oh, and I did > remember to scribe a mark on the end of the steering shaft so > that I will get the wheel correctly aligned when it all goes back > together. Thanks everyone. > > David Clarkson > 90 Westy >