Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Dec 2012 09:39:32 -0600
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Upper steering column grease recommendation and what else to
              do while replacing ignition switch
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Comments: cc: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

Whil3w working our way through this thread, a couple of things come to mind.....

Clutch Clevis - The pin and boss on mine is worn and probably needs repair/replacing. When next I have the dash out I plan to do that. What I anticipate is not only a new clevis pin but also having the boss(area around the hole) bushed with a permanently lubricated bronze bushing. Does anyone see any problems with that? I plan to drive my van until the end of my days - so it needs to hold up, and I would like for it to for the next owner. That spot is really hard to get at for maintenance.

Horn Ring - last time I replace the horn ring on my '88 GL, the replacement horn ring would not fit. I - and David Beierl - spent a ot of time trying to figure out why the steering wheel would not seat with the new horn ring in place. It was the correct horn ring by VW, but we discovered VW apparently made a change in it and there was a shoulder on the new one where it did not exist on the old one. The solution was to carefully remove the brass part from the new ring and install it on the old ring. Then it worked perfect. I think VW was trying to make a one-size-fits-all horn ring that would work across many models and the Vanagon got left in the dust. So be aware of this and don't throw away the plastic part of the old horn ring. You may need it!

John

On 12/12/2012 10:58 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: > another favorite 'horn trick'is when hastily inserting theignition key > and getting another key inthe horn contact area and making the horn blow > ..that's always a fun surprise. > > there are hundreds of spots on vanagons that don't get attention or > lubrication. > half the time I am +the first person ever* to lube something. > I even see desparatelysqueaky sliding doors after the van has been to a > shop .. > even for a whole engine install sometimes. ....and could anyone find 4 > seconds to shoot the door sliding spots ? ...evidently 'nope.' > I see it all the time. > If nothing else I just shoot a squirt of WD into the horn contact area. > No need to take it all apart.. > except to check the condition of the horn contact right. WD has *never* > done me wrong on any electrical contacts, not for the last 40+ years > anyway. > > scott