Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Dec 2012 10:22:43 -0500
From:         Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Virginia to Alaska and back--maps, Internet, places to camp,
              and modifications to the van

Below are a few observations about those issues from our recently completed Virginia to Alaska trip of almost 3 months and 14,500 miles The full trip report is in another email.

For a long trip to areas you have never been, I highly recommend a road atlas or paper maps of some kind to supplement a GPS. While we normally carry a road atlas, on this trip I foolishly decided to do without that extra baggage and rely only on my GPS but soon had to stop and purchase an atlas. A road atlas allowed me to see the "big picture" and just makes traveling and planning more fun for us. For navigating in BC, Yukon, and Alaska we also carried "The Milepost"---heavy and very detailed, but really helped in determining miles between gas stations, camping areas, points of interest, etc.

We carried a Garmin GPS in addition to a Verizon 4G enabled iPad. Advantage of Garmin is that it worked in areas where we did not have phone service. However, once we left Edmonton headed toward BC, Yukon and Alaska we put the Garmin away and the Milepost maps sufficed for our needs until we neared Vancouver on our way home.

Since we only have a US plan with Verizon, the iPad was to be used in conjunction with Skype for communicating with family when we found a WiFi hotspot in Canada or one in Alaska where we did not have Verizon service (most places). Since we also wanted the iPad to work with a cellular network in Canada, I called Rogers in Canada before we left home. I explained that I was from Virginia and exactly what I wanted to do and they said "no problem" and explained what to do at a Rogers store in Canada to purchase a short term plan. Being a little paranoid, I called them again and spoke to another person who confirmed I could do that. Being super paranoid, I then called a Rogers store in Canada where I thought we would stop and again was told "no problem". Unfortunately, when we arrived in Canada and I tried to activate a plan, I was told I needed a Canadian home address before they could activate a plan for me. I even had the stores (tried two stores) call Rogers supervisors and they would not activate a plan for me since I live in Virginia. What a bummer---so we had a WiFi only iPad in Canada. WiFi in parts of BC and Yukon were found only in libraries (Whitehorse library limits you to 1 hour a day).

We try to stay at state parks, provincial parks, forest areas, and unimproved sites where appropriate and only stay at commercial campgrounds when absolutely necessary--like in Valdez when we had an early ferry to catch.

We used many different methods to find camping areas. On the iPad, we used an app "Camp & RV -- Tenting to RV Parks" and on the Garmin we had downloaded some state park and free camping POI's from "POI Factory". Our road atlas listed national parks, state parks with camping, and forest service camping. The Milepost listed all improved camping areas, we picked up provincial camping lists at welcome centers throughout Canada and picked up a BLM campground directory in Eagle, Alaska which was most helpful.

Over the years, we have made a few changes to the van which make it more livable for us on longer trips like this one.

We bought a commercial floor mat for the rear area. It is one like you find inside or outside office/store doors. It reaches from the cabinet area to the sliding door with only about 1/2 unprotected space and I cut a little off of one end so it completely covers the area from the rear bench to the back of the front seat area. It keeps mud, dirt, water from the floor and makes for easy cleanup with a small whisk broom or a good shaking.

Years ago, I replaced the original over sink light with two Thinlights and also put a Thinlight over the bed area for night time reading. Of course, now I need to think about replacing those with LED lights.

Replaced the original faucet with a SHURflo faucet and my wife says this is one of the best modifications we have done to the van.

Installed a fan (Caframo Bora 748) to the left of the stove by the light. Multipurpose uses---exhaust fan, cooling fan, hair dryer, etc. Really a nice thing to have.

Since we never hang clothes in the closet, I put a wire shelf about 12” from the top and we keep our toiletries, and other items that we want to find easily.

Removed the table stand bracket from behind the driver’s seat and use that spot to put a 2.5 gallon water container for our drinking water. Our faucet water is used for everything but drinking.

Porta-poti behind the passenger seat---can't imagine not having this or something like it for a long trip.

Installed an inverter on the wall between the sink and the driver’s seat to recharge stuff when the cigarette lighter is being used for other things.

Many years ago, I ordered and Installed a Propex heater from the original list group purchase before there were distributors in the US. We used it in the mornings when we wanted to take the chill off. It is under the rear seat with a wire rack on top of it to separate it from our clothes.

A canvas bag made especially for the Vanagon luggage rack. What is stored there is dictated by the trip but on this trip, we had oil filters, oil, anti freeze, extra food, extra drinking water, folding chairs, etc. Some items were also in a dry bag since the canvas is water resistant and not entirely waterproof.

We used a bra to help protect the front of the van. We drove on many gravel roads and I am certain the bra saved us from some pretty good rock chip damage on the front. After having lost a headlight in 2005 on the gravel road to Atlin, BC (drop dead gorgeous place) I purchased stick-on XPEL headlight protectors from Steve at Eurocampers and could not be more pleased.

Hope this helps

Harold __________ Harold and Faye Teer 1991 Westy Harrisonburg, VA