Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Dec 2012 16:43:09 -0500
From:         Mike B <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Starter Motor Sudden Failure: Normal?
Comments: To: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>

Put a voltmeter on the batt posts and take a reading with nothing but the dome light on, it should be over 12.5V.

Then turn on the headlights only and see if the reading drops below 12V, it should not drop too much, maybe 12.0.

Then turn off the headlights, and crank the starter and see if the reading drops well below 12V, it should not go below 11.5V.

This should prove the battery condition, or the starter shorted if the voltage drops sharply.

Mike B.

On 12/14/2012 4:09 PM, Karl Wolz wrote: > I've had dead batteries still put out 12+ volts; little or no amperage. Bum a known good battery from another vehicle and try that. Or, take this one to your nearest FLAPS. > > Karl Wolz > Sent from my electronic umbilicus > > On Dec 14, 2012, at 12:46 PM, neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > >> Thanks Scott and Tom >> >> Yah, ironically, this van is in "transition" mode; the aux. battery is >> in the middle of being installed and my jumpers, spare ignition >> switch, starter motor, are all in the other Westy. >> >> "helpers" at the mall are usually much older than me, and/or are well >> dressed and well heeled females, neither of which I would consider >> asking to push my Westy. This is not a sexist age-ist attitude! Just >> based upon respect and logic. :^) >> >> (then again, chances are greater that someone over 50 is sure to know >> how to drive a standard transmission!) >> >> I recently installed a "kill switch" to turn off the remote power door >> lock system and stereo memory. But even though I've left those items >> "on" the last while, battery was still showing 12.8 Volts and easily >> took a charge when topped up about a month ago. (due to these sources >> of electron drain) >> >> Tom: having a battery switch was something I was considering installing. >> >> Scott: more irony. The recently purchased remote start switch is still >> in the package, and very likely buried in my electrical parts >> box...... located in the stranded '88 ! Didn't think of it as a >> trouble shooting tool. Something to remember! >> >> Neil. >> >> >> >> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 1:07 AM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans >> <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: >> >> >>> if the parking lot is always busy .. >>> there will be helpers around to push, >>> I sure recommend a 'starter trigger' wire in the engine compartment .. >>> ( connected to the solenoid trigger terminal and stashed in the engine >>> compartment where you can touch the other end to your hot alt post ...very >>> handy for testing purposes, self-rescue, and to connect your Remoter Starter >>> switch to for doing compression checks, etc. ) >>> >>> It does sorta sound like a suddenly dead starter to me. >>> >>> Did you eyeball and wiggle/twist on the battery cable clamps at the battery >>> ? >>> ( though if they are weak and loose contact it's usually not the symptom you >>> are describing ....about the headlights going nearly dim. ) >> >>> On 12/14/2012 12:13 AM, neil n wrote: >> >> >>> .... Voltage at battery and alternator >>> stud: 12.8 Battery posts + clamps, and starter 30 connection are >>> clean. Solenoid connection is fairly clean. (certainly not corroded) >>> Turning key dims headlights nearly completely. >>> I'm hoping it's the ignition switch but if not...... >>> >>> Can a starter (or solenoid) just suddenly fail? In my experience they >>> usually give warning signs; slow and/or intermittent cranking. >> >> >> >> -- >> Neil n >> >> 65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp >> >> '88 Slate Blue Westy to be named. >> >> '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >> >> Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group: >> >> http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines