Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Dec 2012 17:06:45 -0500
From:         David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: starter turns except when the battery is disconnected but
              does not turn engine-solenoid problem?
Comments: To: lalofs@gmail.com

Whoops sent to soon without trimming the post sorry admins. I guess what I was looking for was a good reason not to replace the solenoid. I wanted a bit of feedback before buying the part listed on the Samba (solenoid and starter together that is either new or most likely rebuilt). Looking at Bentley's starter and electrical diagram renforces that there must be something mechanically that is also causing something electrical going on with the starter solenoid that is keeping the starter running constantly albeit, running very well. I think I'll go ahead and order the part off the Samba. I'll try to perform an autopsy on the solenoid assuming this fixes the problem since this is bound to happen to someone elses vanagon sometime in the future. My starter was rebuilt about 60K ago by a reputable rebuilder but I would assume that nothing was done with the solenoid. I'm not sure how much rebuilding can be done to a solenoid anyway. Thanks for the feedback.

David Clarkson 90 Westy w/ man. tranny-now at least starting to get somewhere in my diagnosis

-----Original Message----- From: Larry Alofs <lalofs@gmail.com> To: David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@aol.com> Cc: vanagon <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> Sent: Mon, Dec 10, 2012 4:08 pm Subject: Re: starter turns except when the battery is disconnected but does not turn engine-solenoid problem?

The ignition switch almost certainly has nothing to do with your problem.   It sounds like mostly a mechanical problem with the solenoid and/or the movement of the starter drive gear on the shaft.

Larry A.