Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Dec 2012 10:23:27 -0500
From:         Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Virginia to Alaska and back -- Late July to Sept trip report and
              pictures--long

After almost 3 months and 14,500 miles, I finally am taking time to report on a great trip through parts of Canada and Alaska. There is so much to tell but I will try to keep this shorter than a James Michner novel. If you have questions, ask and I will babble on some more.

Let me get the normal gas, oil, and tire questions out of the way first. Before we left, I filled the gas tank and recorded the beginning mileage and kept records of the number of gallons and liters along the way. At the end of the trip, I filled up, recorded the ending mileage and took the total number of miles driven and divided by total gallons of gas purchased and averaged 19.43 mpg for the entire trip. That is with a fully loaded Westy with Hankook RA08 185 tires that had about 7,000 miles on them at the beginning of the trip.. While I did not have a spare fuel can on the trip, it would have provided a sense of security in case one of the gas stations we were depending on had been closed. I use Mobil 1 15-50 and changed the oil twice during the trip. While we carried one good spare and a can of "large tire fix a flat" I had no tire problems, didn't have to add oil between changes, and the only mechanical problem I had was a slight seep around a water pump gasket and the day before we arrived home, the van developed a crack in the exhaust pipe at the flange before the catalytic converter that I had welded in Kentucky.

As maintenance before the trip, I changed or had changed the plugs, rotor, dist cap, belts, water pump, air filter, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, ignition switch, oxygen sensor, and accelerator cable. Carried various small parts such as the old fuel and water pumps, new belts, extra ignition switch, Temp 2 sensor, rescue tape, epoxy, assorted tools, etc. I recently replaced the factory radio with one that had a weather band (CSS-5920E). The radio was great but as expected had little reception outside of major cities in BC, Yukon, and Alaska.

Since we left Virginia pretty late in the season (July 21) for Alaska we spent several long days driving until we crossed the border into Alberta. From there, we drove to Edmonton before heading West into British Columbia, the Yukon, and Alaska. There was one real advantage to leaving so late in the season---the major bug season had passed. All in all, we had less problems with bugs on this trip than any other summer trip we have taken in bug lands. Once in BC and onward, the morning temps were usually in the 40's although we had a few mornings in the high 20's and low 30's and the daytime highs were delightful--60's and 70's.

We spent a good bit of time in BC and the Yukon in 2005 and 207, so we didn't linger in either place but instead just enjoyed the scenery and camping on the way to Whitehorse and then on to Dawson City, Yukon. In 2005, what really struck us was the lack of power and phone lines from Whitehorse to Dawson City. But now, that has changed and the remoteness of the drive is broken up by a continuous power line to Dawson City. Kind of sad from a tourist viewpoint but if I lived along the way I would be thrilled to have power. In fact, at one gas station, I commented on the new power line to the owner who said something like "We just got power and I love not having to rely on my own generator but I hate the looks of that power line".

We had been to Dawson City so did not linger after we visited the tourist information center in the evening and asked about he ferry across the Yukon river. The personnel there checked the schedule and said a caravan of big RV's were leaving in the morning and it would take from about 7am to noon to get them all across the river. In order to avoid that tie up, we immediately took the ferry and spent the night at a camping area across the river.

Once we left Dawson City, we took our time, drove leisurely, had no set itinerary and made daily decisions on the fly and just enjoyed the scenery and people until we entered Washington state on the way home. From Dawson City we were on "The Top of the World" highway then drove the dead end road to Eagle then down to Chicken to Tok. This road was almost all gravel & dirt road (Google Maps says 500km and 12 hours driving time but am certain it took us much longer than that) and since it had been raining, by the time we reached Tok, the van was the muddiest and dirtiest it has ever been. After we left home, I noticed a 1 inch tear below the metal bar on the mud flap and by the time we arrived home the entire bottom of the mud flap was gone. To replace it, I ordered the original front set from Van-Cafe and wish I had done that before the trip. I know the passenger side one would have really helped keep mud and dirt from the sliding door track and that side of the van.

We met some great people in Eagle, Alaska and one person at the BLM in Eagle was from a town about 25 miles from us in Virginia and gave us some wonderful advice on things to do in Alaska. He recommended a great book "Coming Into The Country" by John McPhee which we bought at the BLM office and read during the trip. While it is an older book, I truly believe it is a must read for anyone exploring Alaska or anyone just wanting a feel for the state and the people. We also took the 2 1/2 hour walking tour of Eagle and the remains of Fort Egbert and probably exhausted the tour guide asking questions about Eagle, the Yukon river, and her life there. But, since we were the only people on the tour, we really came away with a real appreciation for the way the year round residents live. Our tour guide came to Alaska 25 years ago, married a local, has 5 kids, 24 sled dogs, and catches and drys or freezes over 1,000 salmon a year to feed the dogs.

Chicken has a couple of gas stations, a bar, a restaurant and a gift shop. The restaurant owner and cook were characters and do a great job serving the tour buses, RV people, etc. Tok has some commercial RV parks, grocery, auto parts store, restaurant and tourist information center. While at tourist information center, met a fellow and his 15 year old son in a Vanagon returning to their home in Fairbanks after a year traveling in their van and they invited us to call them if we needed anything in Fairbanks.

We headed south to the Wrangell--St. Elias National Park (largest park in America) and since there are only two roads into the park (West to East in the Northern and Southern part), we decided to take both of them. The drive along the 42 mile one way Nabesna road is beautiful and we saw all kinds of wildlife and basically had the road to ourselves and hiked a few trails without seeing another person. Stop at the NP office at the beginning of the road and inquire about road conditions since there are several major stream crossings littered with big and small boulders and the road is impassible at times. When we went, the road was rough in places but very doable in a 2wd Vanagon. Spent the night at Jakes Creek Campground (place for 2 vehicles) along the river and while having coffee the next morning in the van, a river otter checked us out for quite a while before diving away.

We then headed South to Chitina and took the McCarthy road (120 mile round trip) toward the old Kennecott copper mine. At Chitina, had a surprisingly great meal at the old hotel. Right outside of Chitina on the Copper River are plenty of "fish wheels" where people are harvesting salmon or "dip netting" salmon. Look that up on the Internet---very, very interesting. The McCarthy road was built over the old railroad bed and occasionally old spikes and sharp rocks puncture tires and we did see a few people changing tires along the road. We took it slow, enjoyed the scenery, and took way too many pictures. We spent several nights outside Kennecott, took the mine tour and even splurged for a glacier flight tour. All was worthwhile and highly recommended.

At Valdez, we took the very scenic ferry ride over to Whittier on the Kenai Peninsula which is a fisherman's paradise and where people from Anchorage go to play and fish. On the Kenai Peninsula, we drove almost every possible major road and saw many grizzles fishing in the Russian River. We drove to Hope, Soldotna, Homer (Two Sisters Cafe had wonderful food and the tour boat to Halibut Cove was very worthwhile), Anchor Point, and Seward. We had planned to spend several days in Seward, but the weather was foggy and rainy and while at a coffee shop, I checked the weather and saw several days in a row of great weather predicted for Denali National Park.

Since Denali NP was one thing we really wanted to do in good weather, we left Seward and drove hard for Denali and went through Anchorage without even stopping. That ended up being a great decision since we had wonderful weather in Denali for viewing and hiking and driving the Denali Highway and the good weather only lasted in that region for about 4 days. After leaving Denali NP, we took the mostly rock and gravel 135 mile Denali highway East toward Cantwell. We truly love remote areas and scenery instead of big cities and the Denali highway was one of the trip highlights. While the road was rough in places, there were beautiful views, plenty of wildlife, places to pick blueberries, and great unimproved camping areas. It was hunting season and we saw mostly hunters and few tourists. We took our time and drove slowly but saw another tourist vehicle (big SUV) going way too fast for my tastes. Later we saw them on the side of the road with a flat tire. I stopped to help since I felt I had everything needed to get them going, but for some reason they didn't want my help and waved me off and said they had it under control. They were trying to fix the totally flat tire on the vehicle with a puncture repair kit and a tiny electric air pump and it didn't look to me like they had it under control but I didn't argue. While on the Denali highway, we stopped for coffee at McLaren River Lodge and the waitress said the last time she drove the 22 miles from there to the paved portion of the road, she had 2 flats. Don't know the condition of her tires or her speed but we did fine.

Once off the Denali highway we headed to Fairbanks with the intention of perhaps driving the Dalton Highway to Prudhoe Bay. But, after talking to a lot of people, we decided it wasn't worth it to us since it is really a haul road for the oil industries and the commercial vehicles own the road. Supposedly, they drive fast, throw a lot of gravel, and make the drive pretty tough. We just did not want to beat up the van that badly and we like to take our time and not be pushed. We were advised to just take a commercial van both ways or fly to Prudoe Bay and then a commercial van back. That did not sound like a lot of fun and one of the van drivers told me he lost a windshield about every 4 trips. So we skipped that road---I know the scenery & wildlife would have been wonderful, but I just did not want to fight the big trucks and beat up the van.

Weather was rainy and dreary so we headed southwest on the Al-Can highway toward the Yukon. At village of Haines Junction, Yukon we took the the 300 mile round trip road to Haines, Alaska. This was a beautiful and scenic drive and the road was hard surface and mostly in good shape. Saw a mother grizzly bear and her cubs along the highway to Haines and stopped to take pictures. Another car was stopped and the guy taking pictures had a camera that looked almost as big as our van. We happened to see him the next day in Haines and it turned out that he was a professional wildlife photographer. The Milepost (the big Canadian/Alaskan highway road and touring book) has many of his photographs and one was on the front cover.

Eventually, we headed south in British Columbia on the Cassiar Stewart highway, and took side trips on dead end roads to Telegraph Creek, BC and later one to Stewart, BC which leads to Hyder, Alaska and then to Salmon Glacier in BC. That is an unusual road since it starts in Canada, goes into the US and then back into Canada to the glacier. Anyway, the US portion was in terrible shape and the roughest road we have ever traveled on. At many points, we had to come to almost a complete stop to go through pot holes. Even pick-up trucks were bouncing all over. At one point, I stopped a mine construction guy in a pick-up truck returning down the road and asked if the road got any worse. He said something along the lines of “up ahead it eases up for a short stretch, but overall it is a sh.. road.” Sixty miles round trip on the roughest road we ever hope to meet, but the view of the glacier was magnificent. We spotted bears six different times on that day of driving—that was our bear record for one day.

Near the Nass river bridge, along the the Cassiar highway, we gambled and took a gravel/dirt road to where we thought there might be the Mezidian fish ladder (no signs along the main highway that we saw). That is basically a dam across a river that Salmon cannot jump and after tiring of trying to jump they are forced to go up a chute on the side of the dam which brings them to an area where fisheries people can count and assess the health of the fish. Anyway, we found the fish ladder after driving to the end of the dirt road, parking and walking down a very muddy four wheel drive road. Spoke to two locals who were netting salmon for their own use; they were in the beginning stages of filling a huge ice chest (sort of like you would see on commercial fishing boats). They told us how to get to the fisheries counting station which was down another side road with a locked gate. We were told that depending on who was there we might be told to leave or we might be allowed to watch. We walked around the locked gate and met a young fisheries employee who took us into a fenced and locked area. He invited us to watch him work; he explained the entire process to us as he counted the fish, put tagged ones into a separate area, etc. All in all, between being at the fish ladder and the counting area, we were there for several hours and the only tourists. It was a great experience and a real highlight of the trip.

After that, we drove through central and southern BC and saw cowboy and cattle country, farmland, and wine country. You would have thought you were in Napa Valley, Montana, Wyoming, and upper New York State. We enjoyed the city of Kelowna (population 110,000), BC in wine country—our first real city since leaving Edmonton, Alberta back in July but were sad to leave the wilderness behind.

From there we went to Vancouver where we spent several nights and days exploring before heading to Seattle where we had to do the usual tourist trip to Pikes Place Market. Spent time exploring in Washington and Oregon before deciding it was time to head home.

We took way too many pictures and although I have not taken the time to clean them up I selected a bunch to give a feel for the trip.

Go to: https://plus.google.com/photos/101409063124906966630/albums/5821808317940849025?authkey=CLeA3ZPOy6z7zwE

Harold

Harold & Faye Teer 1991 Westy Harrisonburg, VA