Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Dec 2012 09:31:56 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Roof Racks

I got lucky last fall at a yard sale here in town. found a set of 1A Yakima towers, 48" bars and the 4 90 degree canoe gunwale grabbers for $5. What was wrong with it?? It was missing one of the crank down knobs, which Yakima sent me a free complimentary replacement(part was made in China..GRRRRRRR!!, but free so I didn't complain). A 3/8" allthread bolt worked just as well(we live in a low crime town...lol) until the part arrived. BTW. I use 8 QNE's and a massive aluminum channel rack system I designed for my 90 GL. It's withstood 18 sheets of 3/4" OSB board(the suspension....not so much)... I've had 8 kayaks on top of it before, two suspended underneath, and 6 rodeo boats inside the van. No room for the 14 others to paddle them, but.......YMMV

DM&FS

On 12/20/2012 8:22 AM, Kevin Gilbert wrote: > If you don't mind going old-school, a set of fake rain gutters, > attached with a wide flat backing plate on the inside of the pop-top, > plus 4 Quik-N-Easy brackets (@$30-40/set) and your choice of 2x4s for > crossbars. I use an oak or ash handrail for the aerodynamics. :) > > My fake rain gutters have been permanent since '89. I routinely haul > hefty Royalex whitewater canoes, up to 3 at a time, not the light- > weight rotomolded squirt kayaks people stuff inside their vans. The > racks easily pop off when not in use. > > If style and high price is more important, Thule or Yakima are fine > products. > > Kevin > > > On Dec 19, 2012, at 9:26 PM, Automatic digest processor wrote: > >> Roof top Racks