Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Dec 2012 23:08:08 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 Syncro - Vanagon-type Syndrome and Questions-Learning!
Comments: To: Donna Skarloken <dskarloken@GMAIL.COM>

To begin with you have to terms with your spouse and set reasonable expectations for what it will cost to operate any older vehicle. Vehicles depreciate in value because they do lose their economy of operation and become obsolete in many ways. However there are many benefits and rewards to owning these vehicles and doing some of the maintenance yourself adds a sense of satisfaction. So here are my tips and being female is no excuse for not gaining male type skills.

A Pirelli commercial a number of years ago had a slogan, "Power Is Nothing Without Control". This is true of anything that does work for us. Controls can be mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic etc. Electrical is difficult to some of us because it can't be seen. However it can be measured. Use Google or other search engines. Learn about volts, (pressure) amps, (rate of flow), and ohms, (resistance to flow). Later on you can add inductance, capacitance, reactance, impedance, etc. This stuff applies only to AC circuits. After you get a handle on the volts, amps, ohms, stuff learn Ohm's and Kirchhoff's laws. Then add volts X Amps = Watts. Invest in a fairly good digital multi-meter that also has a bar graph display. The bar graph display responds much faster than the numbers and is needed for testing circuits that vary like the O2 sensor. Duty cycle and frequency capability will help later on when you need to tackle advanced stuff. Then have someone help you learn to read wire diagrams like in the Bentley. Understanding this stuff will allow you tackle any DC problem you can come across.

Now, when things are working properly learn and understand the various processes at work in the vehicle. You can't fix the fuel injection if you don't know what it is supposed to do! Avoid asking question to get quick answers and avoid trying to make quick or easy repairs when things are. Cleaning ground connections sounds like a good thing to do as maintenance but this is bad approach as a repair. You'll have no way of knowing if you actually fixed something of if just moving that wire broken inside the insulation unseen made for a temporary fix. You can also make something else fail adding to more grief. Get the book, find the wiring for the O2 sensor and trace it. Get your significant other to work with you. When you become confidant it becomes fun.

BTW- on the 87 Syncros the ground connection for both the O2 reference and the ignition is usually connected at the base of the oil tower. The plastic is a lousy conductor. Now here is your first test lesson. Ignition on, engine not running, get that new meter, set to DC volts and carefully place a probe on the ring terminal and the other on the chassis or engine case. Is there any voltage there at all? If yes that is a problem. Tighten the connection. Did the voltage disappear? If yes you actually found a problem and corrected it. If no voltage at all, disconnect it from the case and measure again. You should see .5 volt or more, sometimes much more. Now you know the wire is connected at the other end. Since you are holding it you may want to replace that ring terminal-crimp connection. You will see the copper wire is all corroded. Use a quality connector that also has the shrink seal to stop the further corrosion. Now you even did a minor improvement. Oh, and reconnect that wire to something all metal. I usually attach it to one of the screws holding the fuel pressure regulator.

Dennis