Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Dec 2012 20:37:52 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: door lock service
Comments: To: Peter Krogh <peter@PETERKROGH.COM>

I sure wouldn't remove the latch assemblies and try to take them apart. I might remove the door panel for more access.

I've done things like let lube work it's way down the door lock button rod. or remove a latch mounting screw or too and sneak lube in that way.

I would probably just keep shooting it with WD-40 and operate the lack and latch a lot .. lube 'gets in' the more you apply it. I like your idea of WD-40 at first ... if things are cold you might warm the area with a heat gun carefully ... I might usea blast of compressed air to help blow out junk n' gunk.

It's wonderful when a mechansim starts moving smoothly again.

when it's finally moving nicely again .. then spray in a better lube.

I'd try not to take things too far apart though. At the most take the latch assemblies out ....they are not something that can easily be taken apart I don't think.

scott

On 12/18/2012 7:59 PM, Peter Krogh wrote: > I did a bit of searching the archives and did not see what I was looking for. > > My door locks are sluggish, feeling like there is some gunk in there - possibly old lubricant that has gotten stiff, possibly dust and other foreign matter. I'd like to service them before they break. > > In a perfect world, I'd be able to spray WD40 into the mechanism without pulling it, and then perhaps some lithium lube or other substance, and this would suffice. I suspect I'll be told that this is sub-optimal. > > Anyone care to weigh in on the recommended maintenance for 85 westy door locks? Should I pull the locks, soak in solvent and then lube in some way? Is it important to take the mechanism apart, or at lest into several pieces? Is that really any better than cleaning in-place with WD40 and relubing? The driver's door is sticky, and so is the sliding door. Passenger door and rear hatch less sticky. > > Peter Krogh > Author, The DAM Book, Digital Asset Management for Photographers > Second Edition May, 2009 > www.theDAMbook.com >