Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Dec 2012 15:26:08 -0800
From:         MICHAEL H <vwdash80@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: door lock service

Peter,  least intrusive/involved ; short of pulling the assemblies for a thorough, bench top tooth brush and dental pick cleaning [btdt] - get a can of brake parts cleaner. you may have to swap the nozzle for one that will accept a straw [a la WD]. poke the tube into the keyway and shoot, remove tube, insert key, lock and unlock a few times. switch back to tube for another shot or 2. operate key a few more times. the best lube for key ways to prevent recurring gunk up is powdered graphite. lock de-icers that are basically that and alcohol work great. short of that, LiquidWrench makes a foaming spray lube with good capillary action. PB Blaster tends to last longer. german lock mechanisms are nearly swiss art in motion.      h t h                           mike ________________________________ From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 11:37 PM Subject: Re: door lock service I sure wouldn't remove the latch assemblies and try to take them apart. I might remove the door panel for more access It's wonderful when a mechansim starts moving smoothly again. I'd try not to take things too far apart though. scott On 12/18/2012 7:59 PM, Peter Krogh wrote: > I did a bit of searching the archives and did not see what I was looking for. > Anyone care to weigh in on the recommended maintenance for 85 westy door locks?