Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Dec 2012 05:37:25 -0600
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Steering Whine from New Hose
Comments: To: chris and/or ruth <populuxe59@YAHOO.COM>

That is interesting. I bought one of those. The one I sent in exchange had the coupling, the one I got back did not. The one I sent, was leaking, that's why I got the replacement. With that coupling not present in the new one, like you, I assumed the old hose had been an end run and they coupled it together and the new one was made correctly as one piece right off the roll of hose. But when I installed the new one, like yours. it whined. At the same time, I installed a a used PS pump where there wasn't one. It had been out of the vehicle for some time. With the replacement pump being used, I just assumed my whine was the pump, so I got another used pump. It whined. I tried again. Same thing. I just figured it was a case of dealing with old used pumps. Then I started in on new pumps. Went through two, then FINALLY some kind soul on this list clued me in about the restrictor. I replaced the hose with one from another source that had the restrictor and the whine was gone. Needless to say, I went through a lot of frustration before sorting it all out. Never got satisfaction on the first replacement hose however. After all the difficulties, it wasn't worth the effort.

John

On 12/20/2012 11:14 PM, chris and/or ruth wrote: > Re: Power Steering Whine from New Hose > > I had new power steering lines installed about 6 years ago for my '90 MV. I noticed that the new return line had a coupling about 2 feet from the end. All this time I thought the Canadian manufacturer of this line was using up the end of a roll and had to add some more for a complete run. Now it looks like that is a restrictor?? And not a hose coupling? It never did make a noise after installation. Quiet. I've recommended Frank's hose kit to others. > > Chris 3 > ------------------------------------------------------------ > > Hi Mike. > > When I did a conversion, I ran into the same thing as you. Apparently the VW= > hose has some kind of restrictor that helps to dampen things and reduces th= > e noise. After figuring that out, the shop cut the restrictor out of the old= > vw hose and put it in the new hose, which fixed the noisy power steering. > > Hopefully its as simple as that! > > Good luck! > Aaron >