Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Dec 2012 21:30:29 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: E15 fuel?
Comments: To: Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>

I figured you would say that. I run 'alternative' fuel tanks on vehicles all the time.

you could wear the other tank in a pack on your back ! just joking.. I am familiar with motorcycles ..I assume an opposed air-cooled BMW twin, carb on each cylinder.

I don't find gasoline to be that dangerous or scary .. have to really respect it of course. and be smartabout it.

youcould weigh those parts on a very fine scale and see if they decrease in weight over time.

what do you think of the marvil mystery oil idea, in the fuel? I'd sure try that. that's what it is designed for.

On 12/26/2012 9:01 PM, Tom Hargrave wrote: > I understand what you are saying but it would be dangerous to run both carbs > off separate fuel sources. The carbs plug into each side of the same gas > tank and I have no way to separate them for 5K miles without strapping a gas > can on top of the tank for 1/3 of a year. > > > > The scary part of this is the brass carb parts - the needle valve & atomizer > - look brighter than I remember. > > > > Sure looks like active corrosion to me! > > > > Thanks, Tom Hargrave > > www.stir-plate.com > > www.towercooler.com > > www.kegkits.com > > www.grow-sun.com > > > > > > From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans [mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com] > Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:48 PM > To: Tom Hargrave > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: E15 fuel? > > > > Run some WD-40 in your fuel. > I buy mine by the gallon can. > Seriously .. > I would try that. > or some fuel addtive.. > for example, it says right on the bottle of Marvil Mystery Oil.. > 'fuel system lubricant' .. 'add to gas or oil.' > I would expect a little anti-corrosion from adding an oil like that to yer > gas. > > if you have two carbs....run one they way you have been, > the other on a separate fuel supply source with either of those two juices > above .. > and check results and difference after say ...5K miles. If you want to > experiment and research . > > Scott > www.turbovans.com > > > > On 12/26/2012 8:25 PM, Tom Hargrave wrote: > > There is a huge difference between pouring a pint of methanol into a 20 > gallon tank of gas and pouring 3 gallons into a 20 gallon tank! > > And for the record, old BMW motorcycles is one of my hobbies and I've seen a > white residue in the bottom of the mostly aluminum Bing carburetors that I > never saw before gas contained 10% alcohol. And if someone can convince me > that this is not the result of corrosion he'd make me a happy man! > > Thanks, Tom Hargrave > www.stir-plate.com > www.towercooler.com > www.kegkits.com > www.grow-sun.com > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf Of > JRodgers > Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 9:49 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: E15 fuel? > > In Alaska it was - and still is I would guess - common practice to add a > bottle of alcohol like HEET or some other brand - to the gas tank on fill up > in winter to keep ice and water out. Alcohol absorbs the water and prevents > it from freezing into crystals or a solid which interferes with fuel flow. > Just how much alcohol is acceptable I don't know, but Alaskans have been > running with alcohol in the fuel for a very long time. I don't know how it > compares with car engines, but I used to run model engines on an > alcohol/castor oil mix with just a hint of benzine and never had any > problems. Those little engines would just run forever on the stuff. > > John > > On 12/26/2012 9:22 AM, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: > > I read that "[...] the Environmental Protection Agency has approved a > new policy that will allow states to raise the blend to up to 15 > percent ethanol (also known as E15), approved for use for cars and > light trucks from the model year 2001 and later." > > There is concern that some older vehicles may be unhappy with the blend. > > <http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~3/8mfbvPh1hvQ/story01.htm> > <http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~3/8mfbvPh1hvQ/story01.h > tm <http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~3/8mfbvPh1hvQ/story01.htm> > Anyone have any idea whatsoever what running E15 might do for our engines? > > > -- > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, > Bend, Ore. > > > ----- > No virus found in this message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > Version: 10.0.1382 / Virus Database: 2441/5475 - Release Date: 12/20/12 > > > > > _____ > > No virus found in this message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > Version: 10.0.1382 / Virus Database: 2441/5475 - Release Date: 12/20/12 >