Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Dec 2012 07:11:51 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: E15 fuel?

You really don't want to leave gasoline with alcohol in any fuel system for long, without at least treating it with some fuel preservative. I've been using Stabil now, which seems to work OK, but I haven't any long term storage experience with vehicles using it. You would not believe how ethanol gas can coagulate into such a tenacious gummy messy substance if it's just left in a tank and fuel system without any 'help' I recently revived a couple of our dirtbikes which had just been 'pushed aside' for about 6yrs. These had gas/ethanol fuel in the tanks (a KTM and a DRZ) and somehow, they were just 'out of sight, out of mind) against a Ponderosa tree with covers. I knew I would be rebuilding the fuel systems after that kind of dumb neglect but I was not prepared for the substance I found in the tanks....It was like hard gel that was almost unaffected by any solvent that I found... I had to throw away the Suzuki gas tank it was so bad, and replace, not just clean and rebuild, both the fuel valves. The carbs took multiple multiple cleanings.

Now I am more careful with that crap. If I intend to store any motor for longer than a few weeks I always at least put some Stabil in the fuel and run it into the carbs or injectors before I shut off the motor. If I can, I fill the tank with 'Non-Ethanol' gas, which is available in some stations around the Northwest, and make sure to run that into the intake system, again with some Stabil in the tanks, too.

I have a friend who's in the motorcycle suspension business. He uses Stabil as a solvent for gummed-up motorcycle forks and shocks...I soaked those two motorcycle carb parts in Stabil to remove some of the gummy mess the ethanol left in there...It sort of works....better than MEK, Acetone, or any other nasty solvent I tried at the beginning of my 3 full day ordeal fixing my 'storage mistake' this spring...

I wonder if Corn ethanol is any different than Cane-juice like they use in Brazil? Or sugar beets, which I am told is very much more effective as a fuel source than corn....