Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Dec 2012 07:37:26 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Was. optima batteries that fit under the driver's seat Now
              Batteries in general

I've been having good luck with NAPA autoparts batteries. In fact, I have found NAPA stores to be an excellent source for many Vanagon parts...I run their application of Monroe shocks, for example...

I have found that almost every town, no matter how small, will have a NAPA store, almost all locally owned and run...Unlike the big Chain autoparts stores, these NAPA outlets are high quality businesses. Most of the mechanics in the surrounding area will call the NAPA store for parts, for example...and the guys behind the counter are often the actual owner of the store. They are in Tonapah or Ely, or Winnemucca, Nv......Alturas, Ca. Bingen, Wa..The Dalles, Or...Bishop, Ca....towns with 1000> population, they will almost surely have a Napa store, one that is 'connected' to the network of parts and if they do not have exactly what you need they can usually have it at the store the very next morning.

I've been running their listed starter battery for both my engine and my aux battery for about 4yrs now... For my needs that works great. These seem to last about 3yrs for me, and I camp in my van off the grid for a few months each winter. When one begins to lag and not maintain my laptops, phones, lights, etc....I move my starter battery over to the aux position under the driver's seat and replace the starter with a new Napa one, wherever I happen to be...I use their big marine/deep cycle batteries on our tow behind travel trailer, too.

I happen to believe in supporting small business like these Napa shops over frequenting places like Mall-Wort, where the bottom line is all important, and "f--- the workers, the town, the customer, and everyone else..".."It's just business....." That kinda attitude leaves me cold, so I try to do my bit by perhaps paying just slightly more but frequenting business' that are locally-owned, for the most part. I often find the crap I have sometimes bought at Mall-Wort is not worth the savings at all...

I don't know exactly which "group" Napa batteries I'm using but they are very close to the metal lid of the battery boxes under the seats. I have bonded some rubber onto the underside of the lids of my battery boxes, 'just in case'....