Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:56:38 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fire! Comprehensive insurance.
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

I always get no deductible comprehensive. It's hardly much more than the common 1 or 200 dollar detuctible..

and most of 'just odd things' .. cracked windshield, vandalism etc. are cover.

Personal items inside the vehicle are not ..that would come under home owners or renter insurance. but with no deductible comprehensive. a cracked windshiled is a non-issue. They've always just come to where my van was and put in a windshield ...I don't pay a penny. Very convenient.

Collision I never have because I basically neverrun into anything or anyone.. and if I did hit a tree, I'd just fix my vehicle myself anyway.

yes, mostly the fire syncro has things on it that could be done mo'betta on it.

Really need to watch about things rubbing on other things..routing of wires and fuel lines etc.

Would be good to check if 'the spot' that commonly starts vanagons gasoline fires has been fixed or changed. It's not the 'fire wall fitting' ... though it's good to elemniatethose. 'the spot' is ....on the 'other side' of the firewall, toward the front of the van there is a two inch long rubber fuel hose there. Where the black plastic fuel line from the fuel pump conencts to the forward end that short hose .. and secured with a crimp type hose clamp from the factory .. *that spot* is The One that leaks and causes fires.

the minimum upgrade there is to remove that crimp clamp and put on a good screw type clamp. the more thorough repair is .. in my world anyway ....remove the firewall fitting and bypass the whole thing. Join the black plastic fuel hose directly to the hose ( on a waterboxer ) that goes to the 'triple T' fuel junction near the distributor. I have no idea what was done on the I5 conversion of course, but in any case check that part of the fuel lines very carefully. 'stock, from the factory' on a waterboxer ...if original ..it's a fire time bomb waiting for a chance to go off.

Many many vanagons have not had that one spot fixed or corrected yet. Really ...there should be an official bulletin on it.

Scott www.turbovans.com

On 12/24/2012 5:39 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > This one looks like it won't be too difficult to fix. Some re-engineering > should be done. That back area is way too cramped and a lot of exhaust heat > is trapped underneath. > > Did you have comprehensive insurance? That would cover some of this. I can > see not carrying collision as we all want collisions to be someone else's > fault and collision coverage can be pricey. But things like fire, floods, > trees falling, even theft are things completely outside our control and they > do happen. Even that broken windshield can be covered. I just finished > getting an engine running that was filled with sea water from Sandy. With > all the money I know invested in just this one van it boggles me not to have > comp coverage. > > So for Christmas consider getting your pride the gift of coverage! > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Dick Wong > Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2012 4:08 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Fire! > > Try this one. http://tinyurl.com/c77869z > > > > -Dick- > > > > From: Robert Keezer [mailto:warmerwagen@yahoo.com] > Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2012 12:58 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM; Dick Wong > Subject: Re: Fire! > > > > > Dick, something's wong with the links-I can't see the pictures > > Robert 1982 Westfalia > > --- On Sun, 12/23/12, Dick Wong <sailingfc@DSLEXTREME.COM> wrote: > > > From: Dick Wong <sailingfc@DSLEXTREME.COM> > Subject: Re: Fire! > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Date: Sunday, December 23, 2012, 12:40 AM > > Yep, that's the one. I guess I'll have to crack that box open and see what > the damaged are. I don't know if the silver decal (hose diagram (thanks > Mark D.)) was for the boxer engine or the I5. Are they still available? > Thanks. > -Dick- > > -----Original Message----- > From: neil n [mailto:musomuso@gmail.com] > Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2012 12:15 AM > To: Dick Wong > Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > Subject: Re: Fire! > > Hi Dick. > > If you're referring to the black box in this image: > > http://tinyurl.com/c3zrob4 > > that looks like the OEM Vanagon wiring junction box. > > > Neil. > > On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Dick Wong <sailingfc@dslextreme.com> > wrote: > >> Since I'm a noob on Vanagons and only a little familiar with the VW I5 >> engine, Can someone tell me what was that black box on the driver side >> forward wall? (the one with the silver label) > -- > Neil n > > 65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp > > '88 Slate Blue Westy to be named. > > '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group: > > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engine > s > ----- > No virus found in this message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > Version: 2013.0.2805 / Virus Database: 2637/5978 - Release Date: 12/22/12 > > _____ > > No virus found in this message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > Version: 2013.0.2805 / Virus Database: 2637/5978 - Release Date: 12/22/12 >