Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Dec 2012 12:24:35 -0500
From:         Ed <email99@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wheel bearing play (in Baja Sur)
Comments: To: Michael Hart <mjhart853@YAHOO.COM>

I hope Tom's recommendation of a local shop has you quickly back on the road but the following might help eliminate this from happening again for you and others.

Check my list note #440305 (17 Jun 2012 02:49) - Porsche clamp nut fits Vanagon front spindles.

I have replaced the original peening spindle nuts with the adjustable Porsche spindle nuts (Porsche P/N 911 341 673 00) and wheel bearing preload can now be adjusted anytime needed. They fit without any clearance problem. The original Vanagon keyed washer should be retained. These are sold new for ~$33 but are available used for ~$15 if you search by part number.

I recently adjusted preload play out of my front wheel bearings in about 4 minutes after removing the front wheels.

Please note my disclaimer and caution about making this modification.