Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:17:12 -0500
From:         David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      O2 sensor type problem after replacing O2 sensor-follow up,
              still having problems
Comments: To: musomuso@gmail.com

I think that this is what I will check into next. I had this problem once before and had to remove a bit off of the end of this coax cable. I'm not sure how much more slack I have to work with there. If I do replace it does anyone know the gauge or of a source for this cable? I did what Mark Drillock suggested and cleaned up the ground wire and put a new end on it but still have some intermittent full rich conditions (know this from seeing the O2 sensor monitor) that cause the engine to stall out. I think that the other piece of the puzzle that I need to check is the Temp II connections as Rob suggested. I replaced this sensor about 4 years ago and I am sure that it is the correct sensor (not the coolant gauge temperature sensor) and I remember having to splice the wires. I know that this sensor works off of resistance and I think that I either twisted the wires together or used a couple of butt connectors and covered them with shrink wrap tubing where I maybe should have used some flux, soldered them together and then protected them with shrink wrap tubing. I do need to do the same for the coolant gauge temperature sensor as it reads somewhat accurately but way to low on the scale. I know that the Bentley has a chart for the resistance through the temp II sensor at different coolant temperatures. I remember testing the one that I replaced in a pot of water with my ohm meter and an accurate thermometer and finding no apparent problem. That rings true with something that I remember Scott saying some time ago; that these sensors don't actually fail as often as people think that they do. I will inspect the coax on the O2 sensor then proceed to upgrade and hopefully better the connections on the temp II sensor and if that does nothing then I may remove and test the temp II sensor as I previously mentioned. Not going to get into that today as the ground is frozen and the wind chill is around has topped off at 29 deg. Hey wife, can I have my garage back? (He says knowing that she is nowhere near this list and obviously not looking over his shoulder at the moment!) . Any other suggestions? I know testing and possibly condemning the ECU is the last and final step in the process-hope I don't end up there. Oh, and in the midst of this problem the speedo stopped working but was an easy fix-the clip that secures it to the dust cap gave out. Still a PITA in this weather to screw around with that pewny little E-clip when the temperatures don't allow the the fingers to work with great dexterity. It was an opportunity to renew portions of my vocabulary that aren't suitable for polite company! Thanks listees.

David Clarkson 90 Westfalia-intermittently failing to thrive and succeeding in disappointing me in the most inopportune moments Ugh!

-----Original Message----- From: neil n <musomuso@gmail.com> To: David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@aol.com> Cc: vanagon <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> Sent: Fri, Dec 28, 2012 12:23 pm Subject: Re: O2 sensor type problem after replacing O2 sensor

Here's some close up shots of the green coaxial O2 wire on my '88 2.1

I'm not certain it was causing an issue, but, it was pretty clear to me that the slight bits of excess shield wire may have been shorting to the inner "signal" wire.

3 images starting here: https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/New1988Westy#5748856721901671282

I was able to repair this by cutting the wire back. I don't recall if I used shrink wrap to help ensure longevity. I think wire movement is what kills it over time.

Cutting into the loom can be a slightly hazardous (i.e. you cut another wire) but is not rocket surgery. The connector(s) from the O2 should be long enough to reach even if the green wire is shortened. Good electrical tape is nice for loom repair.

Neil.

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 10:39 AM, David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@aol.com> wrote:

> One other bit of info that is worth mentioning is that I have an O2 sensor > monitor that indicated that everything went completely rich when the problem > occurred. It showed this type reading with the original sensor issue and the > new sensor issue. My thoughts are that the problem might be with the small > guage coax type cable that sends the sensor signal to the ECU grounding out > from the inner sensor wire to the outer metal sheathing that I believe is > grounded to the chassis. I had a similar problem with this cable once before > and I believe that I cut a small piece off of the end and put the connector > back on. Knowing that most types of coax cable will eventually fail, I am > wondering if anyone has had a problem similar to this with this cable and if > so where did you find a replacement. I believe that it is wrapped with the > other wires in the main harness section that goes to the ECU so I would > probably just run another piece that would be wire-tied to it rather than > risk disturbing the rest of the original harness and causing a problem with > another wire. -- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'88 Slate Blue Westy to be named.

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines