Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:11:31 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil question....not the dreaded which motor oil is best....
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Most nay 15w-40 you have been using has been a Diesel or other form of heavy duty oil. Labeling is now changing and in the Diesel world we have post and pre 2007 oil requirements. Most of the pre 2007 is disappearing. Some of the new stuff brags about "emissions system performance". The real early heavy duty Diesel oils can affect the catalyst and O2 sensors.

As you noted your oil consumption may be caused by valve stem seals. These can be easily serviced without any major disassembly of the engine. Back in the 70's and early 80's these often had to be replaced even before the cam belt. An air compressor and the right special tools make this a 3 hour job. If the guides are worn then you have to pull the head to change them.

Don't be so focused on the higher oil pressure. Higher viscosity also means increased drag and power loss. 20w-50 will hold even more pressure.

Dennis