Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Dec 2012 23:46:53 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil question....not the dreaded which motor oil is best
Comments: To: Kent Christensen <lkchris@OSOGRANDE.COM>

Thank you for catching the "Performance vs. Protection". My response was really well watered down to answer a question regarding using an oil on an engine that he really does not seem to want to invest any more $$ than needed. Newer vehicles especially Diesels need this better stuff. The Delvac 1 I get for my Diesel motor home is clearly labeled "ESP". I no longer find the older Delvac 1. There is the Mobil 1 Truck and SUV formulae also in a 5w-40. This is available at many stores including Wal-Marts. I do not know for sure if it is the same stuff. While I will use it in my 2004 Motor home I would hesitate in the 2007 and later vehicles unless all the symbols and other ratings match.

Part of my point is that there are folks that Diesel oils are somehow better for gas engines due to increased ZDDP and other stuff. The newer stuff has different formulas that use less ZDDP and ash to protect the emissions system. This also goes for gas engines.

I am a believer in synthetic oils and due to availability I usually use the Mobil 1 products. I suspect that Mobil stuff for Mercedes is similar to the Delvac 1, ESP. On my non Vanagon VWs and my Mercedes I use the Mobil 1, European Formula 0w-40 all year. Same for my Audi A8. I also use this or the 5w-40 in the Water Boxers for winter use when cold weather and short run commuter use is required.

Dennis

Re: Labeling is now changing and in the Diesel world we have post and pre 2007 oil requirements. Most of the pre 2007 is disappearing. Some of the new stuff brags about "emissions system performance". The real early heavy duty Diesel oils can affect the catalyst and O2 sensors. (Dennis)

Your knowledge here needs updating ...

ESP = emission systems protection

There's no "bragging" to it.

The system at risk with the older oils is the diesel particulate filter--which is not the same thing as the catalytic converter.

The new oils are low ash so as not to leave excessive deposits in the DPF. What deposits there are are periodically burned off by injection of fuel into the filter.

On my Mercedes GL320 CDI there's a decal under the hood warning to never put ANY QUANTITY of non conforming motor oil in the engine. I carry a couple spare quarts.

Someday I'm going to have to pay for a replacement DPF and it's going to be expensive and I'm for sure not going to do anything to hasten its demise.

The DPF requirement is a great thing, as unfiltered diesel exhaust is quite lethal. I've on occasion when messing with trailer hookup noted that the smell of DPF filtered exhaust is mostly that of steam--I call it "laundromat." There's zip/zero/nada traditional diesel smell nor is there black soot all over the exhaust outlets or the rear of the car.

This has also nothing to do with "heavy" oil, as generally speaking these days lower viscosity oils are specified, mostly to reduce friction and increase fuel mileage since there are gov't economy requirements. The Mercedes 229.51 spec oil I use is Mobil 1 Formula M 5W-40 and in terms of "heavy" only the 40 is meaningful and if one studies up on Mobil 1 you'll find very little difference between 40 and 50, but I still use good old 15W-50 Mobil 1 in my aircooled Vanagon.

Kent Christensen Albuquerque '81 Vanagon, rubber floors, vinyl seats