Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Jan 2013 10:50:37 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Get engines??
Comments: To: ralph meyermann <ralphmeyermann@GMAIL.COM>

Call them and ask. Most likely they are GEX built with new short block and heads. VW does not sell "new" complete engines for vehicles so most new engines offered are for industrial uses.

I haven't used a GEX engine for many years but when I did and I did have a problem there warranty service was excellent. No issue covering the parts or labor. Just have to do the documentation stuff and get the OK first.

To extent they may be getting a bad rap. Folks often only write to complain when they have an issue. Also, many engines get replaced without the cause of failure being determined or corrected. So guess what, the replacement engine also fails and it must be the suppliers fault. This is particularly true in the air cooled world. In the Bus/Vanagon world this is most likely got the bad rap. Especially since all the Vanagon engines were doomed from the factory.

Most large rebuilders rely on the ability to fix most any part. Welded heads with replaced valve seats lots of machine work on cases is the norm. It is how they compete. Sometimes things may be better than new but most times these parts are damaged which is why some chooses to replace rather than repair an engine. Then we also have the issue of even new parts quality. There were a number years where the AMC heads were so bad I would rather install used stuff since I knew that new would be back in less than 30K miles if I was lucky. How many incorrectly machined heads cut the gaskets? How about valve stems wearing the point the keepers would fall off?

The Diesel engine is a fairly stout unit. The weak links are the heads and piston rings. I agree that if going for new go or a 1.9 or one of the turbo options. Turbo Diesels benefit for both performance and economy. Plan on re-gearing the trans for best benefit.

Dennis