Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Jan 2013 15:22:30 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: drips of antifreeze off head
Comments: To: Mike B <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>

ditto that .. and RS is a fantastic gasket sealer. I'd use it to seal the rubber gaskets even ... but not to fill in missing metal. that would be a purely get-you-home-from-meixico emergency repair.

Scott turbovans.com On 1/1/2013 1:08 PM, Mike B wrote: > I've never used the Right Stuff, so I can't attest to the properties of > it. The JB weld is being used to replace lost metal and make a smooth > surface for rubber gasket to seat against. You're not trying to make a > gasket, the way a sealant can. The epoxy ends up making a new hard > surface, where the sealants will only act as a filling adhesive. Yes > you'll always need a new seal and some sealant use is appropriate, but > not as a total replacement for the seal or the lost metal. I'd be > afraid to experiment with RS in place of JB, especially in light of the > labor required to re-accomplish the task if it fails to seal. Even > worse, if it blows out under temp and pressure, you can ruin the > engine. I stand by the use of JB for corrosion repair on VW heads and > cases, but as you said, not in the cylinder seal area of the head. > > Mike B. > > On 1/1/2013 3:25 PM, neil n wrote: >> Checking Ben's web pages (benplace.com) he writes of JB. >> >> http://benplace.com/head_check.htm >> >> So JB is not to be used on the head where the barrel sits? (higher >> heat, wider heat cycling destroys the JB?) >> >> If a head surface where the coolant gasket sits has minor pitting, can >> the "Right Stuff" be used to fill those voids? Not saying JB isn't >> any good (obviously it works) but if one is using RS with a new >> coolant seal..... >> >> Neil. >> >> On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Mike B <mbucchino@charter.net> wrote: >> >>> I've read about using JB Weld on the pitting and have repaired a few >>> WBX >>> myself this way. I recommend glass-beading of the corroded areas of >>> the >>> outer rubber gasket area until you've got all of the corrosion out down >>> to the bottom of the pits. Then, multiple coats of JB Weld, gradually >>> building up a perfect surface, followed by a good flat-sanding of the >>> repaired areas. It may take a few days of applying epoxy, drying time, >>> then sanding to get the job done well. I have found that not only is >>> this an excellent repair method, but that it goes one step further in >>> preventing the corrosion from returning. I highly recommend it from >>> personal experience over years of Vanagon ownership. I've heard that >>> the same method is used even on Jaguar cylinder heads. >>> >>> Mike B. >>> >>> >>> On 12/30/2012 2:56 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: >>>> I've seen some terribly pitted cylinder heads. >>>> and they are not like a normal headcylinder head in which you can just >>>> have the machine shop take off say 6 thousandths. >>>> The like amount would have to be taken off where the metal rings sit, >>>> around the combustion chamber. >>>> Most machine shops are not set up to do that . >>>> Mo' betta to replace head gaskets when they are getting due. >>>> The outer ones are not even really head gaskets in the conventional >>>> sense. >>>> They're outer coolant retaining gaskets. >