Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jan 2013 13:51:28 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: S'not Tires
Comments: To: Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>

Have you tried Studless Winter Tires ? such as the Bridgestone WS-70 ? they're awesome.

way way mo' betta than 'snow tires.' It's not just the tread pattern , it's the rubber compound too.

some Kailfornia tire chains stories - They get nervous about idiots spinning out and blocking I-80 , so sometimes they just close that freeway, even if it's plowed clean. One time I get to just a bit west of Aubrun ..all vehicles must exit. I pull up the guy , he says, cross the freewayand head back West. I say can I park here until you open the road? "No, you must turn around and go back West." So I got back one exit.. get on some nicely plowed back raods, bypass about 30 miles of empty,. clenaly plowed freeway .. and put right onto I-80 again ..no cars, nocops, no road blocks ..just nice plowed freeway. Get up to a ski area near Donner Pass ...awesome 4 inches of fresh pow. They lie to motorists.

Another time ..I'm having an awesome day at Homewood. Deep fresh powder. Radio is saying 'I-80 closed in defenitly at Truckee. " I got by there, people are lined up by the onramp ..waiting and waiting, sleeping in their cars.

I take old Donner Pass Raod ...on chains ...2wd turbo diesel vanagon , 2WD ... it's plowed and clear, ...I drive up that road and again ..pull right onto an empty and cleanly plowed I-80 and drive all the way to Berekely ..and the TV is saying ' I-80 closed indefinitely at Truckee.' .. yet if you can get around where they stop you .. the road is clear and empty.

last story - leaving South Lake Tahoe ..over Echo Pass on Hwy 50 .. Caltrains has a check point at the bottom of the hill in So. Lake Tahoe . they have some worker ...... not even a 'car person' I don't think....asking each driver if they have FWD or Rear Wheel Drive .. then they look at the tires. Hell..........LOTS of people don't have any idea if they have FWD or RWD .. I get half way up the big hill..........cars are blocked.. somebody ...........a very very non-car savvy person is sideways blocking things .....with 'good tires' on the wrong end of the car probably ... just stupid . And a legal liabiity actualy.

The biggest problem with driving on snow in Ca is .......the cops and all the idiots . The roads themselves and the condiitons are seldom much of a problem at all.

and if you have not tried true dedicated Studless Winter Tires ...you should ! I'd buyanother set of the Bridgestones I have any time. all 4 of course, not just two.

scott www.turbovans.com

On 1/9/2013 1:07 PM, Al Knoll wrote: > I LOVE a good tire tread, sorry Jeff, couldn't help myself. > > I've used AT/KOs for well over 150Kmiles in both the 195 and the 215 > sizes. Both perform very well in snow. As good as Nokians or Conti > Contacts or Vredesteins, no data available. In Calichi (sp?) mud they plug > up and simply give up. Then you slip slidin' away no matter what. > > Snow vs Ice is a science. Snow traction is achieved by packing the snow > with the tread. Ice traction with only rubber is problematic as the thin > film of water that exists on the boundary between tire and ice is a great > lubricant hence the siping. Lots of stuff on your favorite scientific > website on this. > > McNeely is concerned about being cited or incarcerated for running > "illegal" tires. Here in Kalifornia we have various tire restrictions > R0,R1,R2 and R3, that dictate the traction law at the time and location. > Yep, they will cite you and if you smart off to the flathat you'll get a > summons along with an arrest and a gargantuan tow charge. Just remember > you don't get cited for breaking the law, you get cited for getting caught > breaking the law. Hands at 10 and 2, sunglasses off, hat off, window down, > wait for the officer to speak, be nice, be obedient, even cheerful. Answer > all the questions in a pleasant professional manner. You may question the > cititation, before siging it. If you see an error do not point it out. If > you don't sign the citation you will be arrested. > > If asked to get out of your car you are allowed to ask why. Ask before > reaching into the glovebox for your registration and insurance papers. Do > not consent to a search of your person or your vehicle without a warrant. > (See 4th Amendment US Constitution). > > http://tirechain.com/california-chain-requirement.htm has the skinny on > what and where and the definitions of the R codes. > > I suspect the "snowflake" bit is for folks who have a hard time with the > next paragraph. > > dot.ca.gov has : > > > *Are “all-weather” or “all-terrain” tires the same as “snow” tires?* > > They may be. Snow tires have the designation “Mud & Snow” or an > abbreviation such as “M-S,” “M+S,” or “M/S” marked on the tire sidewall. > Tires without this designation are not considered snow tires. Snow tires > must also have at least 6/32-inch (3/16”) of tread depth (about 1/2 of the > original tread depth). > > *Are cable chains permitted?* > > Usually. They are permitted for passenger cars and light trucks under > virtually all conditions. Cables are not as effective as link-type chain > under severe conditions at higher elevations and steep grades for > “big-rigs” and may not be permitted depending on local conditions as > determined by Caltrans. Whenever chain controls are posted over Donner Pass > on Interstate 80, heavy trucks are usually required to have link-type chain > on at least the main drive axle. > > *Must chains be carried in exempted vehicles?* > > Vehicles without chains are not permitted to enter chain control areas and > must return to a lower elevation where chains are not required. There is no > provision to park vehicles at chain control check points. > > *What does it mean when the radio road information says “trucks are being > screened?”* > > During inclement or unsettled weather conditions, Caltrans may set up truck > screening check points at approaches to major mountain highways. When these > screens are present, all heavy-duty trucks must stop and show Caltrans > personnel that they have the required chains on board to proceed. Trucks > without chains will be directed to return to a lower elevation until > weather improves. There is no room available at higher elevations to park > trucks not equipped with chains. > > *What are the dates for studded snow tires?* > > Studded snow tires are permitted in California from November 1 until April > 30 each year. During this time, studded tires are permitted in any location > within the state. Studded snow tires are not considered tire traction > devices and may not be used in lieu of chains. > > *If I have 4-wheel-drive, do I need to carry chains?* > > Yes. Even though weather conditions may not warrant the use of chains on > 4-wheel-drive vehicles at a particular time, to enter a chain control area, > you must have a set of chains (for one drive axle) for your vehicle in your > possession. If conditions worsen or you have trouble controlling your > vehicle, you must stop and install the chains. > > *If I have snow tires, do I need to carry chains?* > > Yes. Even though weather conditions may not warrant the use of chains on > passenger vehicles equipped with snow tires at a particular time, to enter > a chain control area, you must have a set of chains (one pair) for your > vehicle in your possession. If conditions worsen or you have trouble > controlling your vehicle, you must stop and install the chains. > > *If I have snow tires on a heavy-duty commercial vehicle, do I need to > carry chains?* > > Yes. There is no exemption for heavy-duty commercial vehicles (over 6,500 > pounds gross weight) equipped with snow tires. Chains must be installed on > heavy-duty commercial vehicles whenever chain controls are posted. > > *If I have studded snow tires, do I need to carry chains?* > > Yes. Studded snow tires are not considered tire traction devices and may > not be used in lieu of chains. > > And that my friends is the story. NB you are allowed to travel without the > squirrel coat but you'll be a heck of a lot colder puttin on them > chainies. Gloves, shovel, hat, Sorels (canadian bedroom slippers) and so > on always in my winter kit along with rodent food. > > Pensionerd. (Drive on) >