Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jan 2013 23:50:52 -0600
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire search 27-8.50-14 realities
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Dennis,

All this tire and pressures talk prompts me to again ask if you would confirm your best recommendation of pressures for the Tin-tops running the General Altimax RTs in a 205/70-14. I know mine at factory recommended weaves like a snake crossing the road, but tracks true at higher pressures.

Thanks,

John R

On 1/10/2013 8:50 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > While this size tire is LT rated there are a few things that should be > considered for use on the Vanagon. Heavy construction is not always the best > solution to load carrying capacity as the extra material also causes > additional heating and at highway speeds it is really the heating from > flexing and turning that limit a tires capacity and causes load (heat > related failures. > The load index of this tire is only 95. The OEM 205/70-14 was 97, the > General Altimax in this size is 98. A standard 215/70-14 is 96. The maximum > carrying capacity of this tire is 1,520 pounds @ 50 psi. The Syncro rear > axle rating 3042 and front is 2866. So you are really right at the limit and > the front has to be at nearly the same inflation pressure as the rear to > carry that load. Passenger car tires including the XL versions actually > reach tier full rated capacity at 32 or 35 psi and the ability to be > inflated to 44 psi is to accommodate handling and rolling resistance > requirements. This is why VW used 36 psi as the recommended pressure for > the front tires on the 205/70-14XL equipped vans. > > So if we go to a 215/70-14 that tire is rated 1554@36 psi but better ones > can be inflated to 44 psi. They may also be available in higher speed > ratings. (This size is also disappearing). Still marginal especially if you > consider the de-rate. > > This size-style (floatation) of tire is really best suited for some off road > deep snow, mud gravel operation. Strong designs to resist punctures. The > open tread does actually leave less rubber on the road although that can > make for some great aquaplaning resistance. However there is a difference > between aquaplaning ( tire floats) and simple skidding/sliding on the wet > surface. While great to get you moving in snow nothing like a winter > performance tire to help you stop and steer in light snow and surface > ice/water. > > Being around Syncros I promoted these tires in the early days. Many folks > that used them for long highway trips ultimately had issues with them. Worst > was inside delamination of the liner. Unknown until you start seeing bubbles > on the outside. > > Considering the big engine at some point a tire/wheel upgrade is in order. > Then you have the opportunity to upgrade at least the front brakes. If you > want the tall but reasonable look consider 215/65-16. With some work you can > get that into the spare tire tray. A 235/60-16 is the same diameter. I am > going with 235/55-17X on mine. And using some thinner same diameter tire as > a spare or a rear tire carrier or better yet a drive shaft de-coupler. All > of these sizes are readily available even in XL versions. > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Scott Daniel - Turbovans > Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:48 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Tire search > > Hi Dick, > if you guy a brand new identical Bridgestone .. > it will be close enough. > you are actually suppossed to rotate 5 tires on a regular basis so you > have 5 indentical tires if you get a flat. > 11K miles is not that much. > I'd buy a brand new one, and identical tire by brand, size, and model.. > and run it on the right rear for a while. > The after say 1OK, rotate it to the right front ...and rotate the other ones > in whatever 5 tire rotation system you are using. > > fyi ..serious hard core syncro owners sometimes get 6 new tires, and rotate > 6 .. > so if they have a total failure of one tire, say to a serious rock pumcture, > they still have 5 identical tires. > > You may have seen I highly approve of that size and load rating for a 14 > inch tire, if it's an LT or C load rating tire, also called 6PR. > > 'scuze me for not reading further. > If you can't get that exact tire, then it looks like you are down to finding > a tire, new or used, or exactly the same diameter, more or less, then rotate > the 4 you are running now. > > a factor to consider is if whatever spare you get will fit the spare tire > carrier .. > 27 X 8.50 R14 is a tight fit I think. > There are aftermarket 'deeper' spare tire carriers ., but I have yet to > see one that protects the side of the spare tire like stock clamshell one > does, which makes no sense to me. > > scott > www.turbovans.com > > On 1/10/2013 12:16 AM, Dick Wong wrote: >> Hi All, >> >> I am looking for 1 tire to use as a spare for my GL Syncro. I have 4 >> Bridgestone Dueler A/T 693, 27x8.50-14 on the 4 corners now. They >> only have about 11K miles on them, per the PO and I tend to believe >> him since they have a lot of meat left on them. I don't plan to buy >> new tires, but the spare is a Dayton SR, 205/70R14 M+S. The >> speedometer is dead on and I like the ride with the Bridgestones. >> >> Does anyone have one of these Bridgestone tires laying around that I >> could buy? I don't really care if they are worn as long as they are >> still legal since it will only be used as a spare. The model was >> succeeded by the 693II and then the 695. I will even settle for the >> same size of a different brand tire. I am in Foster City , CA and >> will come pick up in the greater bay area. >> >> Thanks. >> >> -Dick Wong- >> 78 Scirocco >> Original Owner >> 87 Syncro 2.5 (slightly crispy) >> Third Owner >> 12 Golf TDI >> Original Co-Owner >> >