Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:33:08 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Friday: The Priius.....
Comments: To: Zeitgeist <gruengeist@GMAIL.COM>

---- Zeitgeist <gruengeist@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > I have tens of thousands of miles behind Gen 1 & 2 Prii, from back when I > worked for a large state agency using them as staff vehicles. I give kudos > to Toyota for taking the ball and running with it to expand our automotive > expectations of what's possible. However they handle dreadfully and the > ergonomics are maddening. I also never got much better than 40mpg as > determined by the central dash readout. I was much more impressed with the > Civic and Camry hybrids I occasionally drove around the same time. I'm > much happier to see folks driving them than your typical SUV, so more power > to em. > Generation I Prius never got more than about 38 mpg. Gen II (which is what I have) averages 55 mpg for me, calculating mileage from elapsed miles and fuel into the tank. Mileage with the Prius depends heavily on how it is driven. A heavy foot depresses mileage just as in any vehicle, perhaps more so since it means the car seldom operates on battery mode. Also, if the vehicle is used only for short commutes, the mileage will suffer as the system will not be warmed up adequately. Live a mile from work? Drive daily to work, and don't do much driving otherwise? You won't get very good mileage. Best mileage is on intermediate distances (a few miles) at speeds around 40 mpg, stop and go. Worst is on short trips, not warmed up, or on interstate highway driving if one tries to keep up with Texans.

> > On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Ben T <syncro@gmail.com> wrote: > > > On Jan 11, 2013, at 2:12 SDF wrote: > > > there is a Vanagon guy ..great guy too, Paul Guzak, whoconverts Prius > > > cars to plug-in. He adds a suitcase size battery in the trunk that can > > > be charged off 110AC. > > > > He used to live across the SF Bay from me before moving north. He also did > > a Sprinter camper conversion. Pics in Van-O-Rama page. > > > > > Reading on a Prius yahoo group .. > > > the early Prius's could have very expensive transmission failures ..like > > > a 4K dollar problem. > > > > What do newer VW transmissions cost? That's about what auto trans cost in > > Eurovans, Passats, Golfs, & Jettas in the early 90's to early 00's. > > > > > Not a very sporting car to drive I hear. > > > > I don't know about that. Sporting for a hybrid. I get passed by the little > > 'door stops' at a fairly fast clip quite often. And mind you, I am not > > exactly a slow driver.:-) > > > > > > > > > > > BenT > > > > > -- > Casey

-- David McNeely