Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:51:35 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Friday: The Priius.....
Comments: To: Joe Huggins <huggins.joe@gmail.com>

---- Joe Huggins <huggins.joe@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi David, > > I should clarify. My dealer also quoted $200 for the replacement but then > another $100 in labor to do the reprogramming. Thus the $300. > > I just don't think a key should cost over $3.

Well, most fobs do cost more than that, but I agree that the price is ridiculous. And the reprogramming should be a 3 minute job, so why an extra charge, and why so much? My dealer quoted $198 for both the new key and the reprogramming, not two separate charges. But, that was a while ago, and things may have changed there, too. mcneely

> > > On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > > > Bill, at least on my Prius, that mechanical key will open the driver's > > side door, but will not start the car. There is no mechanical ignition > > lock, just the slot to insert the electronic "key" if one prefers to use > > that rather than the "keyless" ignition system. So far as I can tell, that > > keyless ignition system is the one shortcoming of the car. I too do not > > like the price tag for replacement. The high cost is in part to reprogram > > the wireless receiver so that the lost key will no longer be recognized. > > However, that task could be as simple as it is for a garage door opener, > > if Toyota were thinking of the customer's welfare. And, they charge the > > full price even if no key was lost, but one just wants a spare. My dealer > > quotes $198, not $300, though. Still too much, but maybe that's what has > > kept me from losing a key. mcneely > > > > ---- Bill Witz <pbwitz@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote: > > > Funny: you did know that your FOB has a key inside it to open the door > > and > > > start the Prius? At least on our 2008 which is as comfortable as our > > Vanagon > > > with the recaro seats I installed(thank you Mr T) > > > But it does get 48 MPG without much effort on our part. No I do not > > think this > > > one act will save the planet.It is just a small step. > > > > -- > > David McNeely > >

-- David McNeely