Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jan 2013 23:59:06 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wheel tightening technique
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

what does 'reduces the required torqueby 40 % , in the case of anti-seize' really mean?

doe that mean if one uses anti-sieze and then torques to 120 ft lbs ...the actual reading will be .......? or .... does that mean it's handy to use anti-seize so the nuts and bolts don't have to be so tight .. or what ? what does that actually mean 'reduces the required torque' ?

sounds like a good thing stated that way.

On 1/7/2013 9:52 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > Unless your very heavy the stock lug wrench doesn't cut it, neither will a > hammer drill. If you plan on doing any amount of work on your own a torque > wrench is an extremely valuable investment. > In general lug nuts/bolts should not be lubricated. Also, lug nuts do have a > life limit. Proper torque for the Vanagon (dry or as received) is ~120 > ft/lbs. Lubrication of the threads or face reduces this. Some anti-seizes > can reduce required torque as much as 40%. Over torqueing will destroy the > threads in the front rotors or break/strip the studs/nuts in the rear or > Syncro fronts. Fretting corrosion can make later removal very difficult. Get > a nice breaker bar and socket and keep this in the van for roadside wheel > changes. This will work better than a cross style lug wrench. After > installing tires drive a short distance and check torque again. > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Peter Krogh > Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:31 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Wheel tightening technique > > It's amazing how much chatter lugnuts can stir up. > ;-) > > So I have another question, regarding proper wheel tightening technique. I > had an alarming event a couple weeks ago when my recently-changed spare > wheel came loose while driving - maybe 100 miles after I had put it on. (I > heard rumbling from the wheel area that made me think of a failed wheel > bearing. I pulled over to find front lug bolts backed out by 1/8 inch ). It > made me wonder how that could have happened (and how to stop it in the > future.) > > I'm soon swapping the original steelies and dry-rotted Vancos with some > Hankooks mounted on 14" Carat alloys. Mounting with the T3 lugs. > > Typically, I take my car to a tire shop, but I wanted to try this myself. I > have bottle jack, jackstands, a newly cleaned and organized garage, and a > hammer drill. (It's an old electric beast, with a 5-setting clutch and a > pretty good amount of torque). > > The tire loosening incident has me a little spooked. I thought I did it > correctly - put tire on wheel and tighten lugnuts as much as possible, > working in a crosswise sequence.I put the car down on the ground for the > final tightening sequence. (I was using stock lugwrench.) How does that > come to be rumbly loose 100 miles later? > > Should I use the hammer drill (after proper threading)? A torque wrench? > (which I don't own, but would be pretty happy to acquire). Any treatment to > the bolts/nuts? Advisable period for reinspection? > > Any insight appreciated. > Peter >