Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jan 2013 18:55:07 -0800
From:         MICHAEL H <vwdash80@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday Philosophy: On the nature of Repair

Don, sad but true, `we only have a few years left' ... because none of us are getting younger. Vanagons are already collectibles. and Joe, Cuba is still a mostly poor country; borderline 3rd world. they're making due with what little they have available. personally, I can afford to have my vehicles worked on at a shop. for me it's more about the knowledge. `Yes, I can' is priceless. while I've gleaned a king's ransom from the membership here I'm still far from expert. so, when one does have to go to a facility because I don't have a lift or high torque pneumatics I can at least narrow the [trusted] mechanics focus and optimise his time as well. then we can hang out and talk shop and vent about cookie-cutter vehicles devoid of personality and character. his wife is a `mature' gal from the real car days so the conversations get even longer than this post !             =(;D)              mike ________________________________ From: Joe T. <vanagon85@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 7:46 PM Subject: Re: Friday Philosophy: On the nature of Repair I think that Vanagons are starting to become like the 1950's American cars that the Cubans are even still continuing to fix and use.  Creativity, ambition, and mechanical skills go a long way.  Just another reason why making old stuff continue to work is better in so many ways than giving up and buying new stuff. Cheers, Joe T. Denver '85 Wolfsburg Westy Subie 2.2 On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote: >      I'm guessing we only have a few more years of being "Vanagon Fixers"