Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Jan 2013 15:25:12 -0800
From:         chris and/or ruth <populuxe59@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Zetec Using oil

How are you measuring the oil used?  Are you measuring oil added and removed during an oil change? Or  checking the stick? I ask because I have a Ford with a z-tech family motor.  I have found that the dip-stick is the only undependable thing on it.  Example: I am showing my 10 year old how to check oil, "Son, this is how you check the oil on a car". I pull the dip-stick and the pull bar breaks off of the stick.  I have to remove the old one that has now slid down into that little pipe. I buy a new one for $22 and 6 months later I check the oil and the tip--right where it says "full" has broken off,  is now useless and the tip is laying in the oil pan ( I hope). I bought a generic dip-stick at a FLAPS. I rarely check the oil. At 14 years and 123,000  miles it doesn't really use any. I find it to be a really good engine that needs almost zero maintenance except for the timing belt and that was only $124 installed.  The only way I'd ever own a Vanagon is with a z-tech. Not because they are a good, cheap engine, but all the stuff around the water boxer is getting older and some of those parts are no longer available from the dealer. You can't run a daily driver and wait 10 days for a special part from goWesty. Sorry if this sounds like a Ford Z-tech Forum.   Chris C GBX --------------------------------------------- Zetec Using oil

Bostig records show the engine they installed in my 85 Vanagon had 24K miles on it.

It's using oil. After about 2500 miles I've put in 1 quart. The engine is not leaking oil, no smoke is coming out the exhaust, and the coolant does not have oil in it.

Is there a way to determine how the engine is using oil? And id so, what is the fix?