Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Jan 2013 23:27:48 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Zetec Using oil
Comments: To: Jon Durham <jon_durham@KNOLOGY.NET>

Burning a quart in 2,500 miles is not any issue at all. Especially when using the lower viscosity oil this engine is designed for. If using regular oil you probably should be changing it near 3,00 miles anyway. This normal consumption is the reason oil need to be formulated not the damage the emissions system (catalysts, O2 sensor, EGR systems).

Consider a few things. Engine oil is carried up on the cylinder walls by the oil rings. The walls have to be kept somewhat wet or ring-cylinder damage can occur. Well, some of the oil at the top of the cylinder is going to be involved in the combustion process. Often you can't measure it but some will always be burned.

The Zetec is usually used in a sedan type vehicle, geared to about 2,500 rpm at 70 mph plus. I have driven a Focus rental vehicle and did 34.7 combined and 39.7 mpg highway doing 70-80 mph in Florida. In the Vanagon you are both turning faster at a much higher load. Industrial and truck engines have service requirements based on hours, miles, and then gallons of fuel consumed. Yes, you burn more fuel per mile you need to do oil changes, filters, and engine overhauls more frequently. So if the engine calls for 7,500 mile change intervals in the Focus you are probably looking at <4,000 miles in the Vanagon. Of course you really need oil analysis to determine the frequency really required and why it needs to be changed. My bet is that this engine in the Vanagon will need oil changes due to nitration (breakdown) from high upper ring temperatures just like the water boxer.

Dennis