Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Jan 2013 15:25:08 -0500
From:         Peter Krogh <peter@PETERKROGH.COM>
Subject:      Front brake noise

Continuing to do the work to put the 85 westy back on the road.

Put new (used) tires and wheels on. While the front passenger side was off, I noticed some friction when turing the wheel - as though the brakes were touching on part of the rotor. The rotor looks okay - not too scored. I had the pads replaced, but I don't think he did anything to the calipers.

When I drive, I'm pretty sure I'm hearing some kind of friction in the front right wheel area. Took the wheel off and the friction is definitely there for part of the rotation. Shining a light through the gap between pad and rotor, I can see the gap disappear when the friction starts, and open up again when the friction disappears.

Any suggestions on what to do about that? It has been maybe 400 miles since brakes were done (but the mechanic is 1.5 hours away, so anything I can do myself might be more convenient.)

Does this mean new rotors are needed? Are the calipers not retracting properly? I don't see any kind of adjustment in Bently. The wheel is not smoking or anything.

Also, should I grease the front wheel bearings? I was wondering if that was the source of the noise. Can I just ry off the grease cap and squirt a bunch f heavy grease in?

Any help appreciated.

Peter