Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jan 2013 11:50:19 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday Philosophy: On the nature of Repair
Comments: To: Jarrett Anthony Kupcinski <kupcinski@GMAIL.COM>

Great stuff! Essential philosophy for the old car hobby.

If you haven't read "Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work" by Matthew B. Crawford you should. It's a timely philosophical discussion about working with your hands instead of sitting on your butt in front of a computer. He left an academic career to go into the business of restoring classic motorcycles.

And, of course, reading or re-reading Persig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" is always worth your time.

Stuart '85 Westy