Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jan 2013 12:46:16 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday Philosophy: On Previous Owners

The PO of my van had just recently finished the conversion to it's inline VW motor...he hadn't much used this one, having another inline he'd had done prior and that was what he drove. We didn't talk much about Vans, since he was in the woodworking business as I am, sometimes. And he was located just two buildings away from a boatyard where I worked happily for about 6 winters in the past.... There were some very 'sketchy' details when I got mine....I think this fellow had obtained two complete sets of vanagons to convert, 'just in case' and when he got the first going without having to use much from the other two, he just slapped together the second set and sold it to me....I jumped in and took it home, then right on to California for winter, in less than a week....fixing stuff as it happend.....the usual Vanagon stuff minus the motor problems...

I recently encountered a California Vanagon guy here in the desert....He came up and was looking at mine, sort of 'down his nose' was my impression..We talked a little and.he mentioned, somewhat proudly, that he had a "90 Westie with a 2.4 motor, automatic, AC, everything works.......blah blah" and when I said mine was Jetta powered, he just looked kinda blank.....I assume he was a Go Westie kinda guy, seemed sort of that way, just pay the money and don't bother learning about the vehicle.... I got to thinking though that I wouldn't trade his "90 Westie Automatic with the 2.4 motor" for my 84 5sp inline....ever...Even if he paid $60k for a full Resto Go Westie.....I prefer mine, thanks.

I do pity the next owner of this van, however. Since I am often off the grid or away from home with just minimum tools, there are some 'unique' modifications in this vehicle now that will probably cause lots of consternation to the next owner...if there is one ever.