Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jan 2013 16:50:08 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ignition Switch "Su" Power
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Neil.. ( warning, more than 8 lines long )

I am having a really bad time lately with people using odd terms .. I have never heard of SU power from an ignition switchin a Vanagon. I know it must be very boring to use the same old terms decadeafter decade .. I alsonotice I zero problem understanding my TV or the New York Times perfectly well. .

the Ign Switch - there is 'off' of course. there is 'on'..and that is '15' on power as well as 'X' ign on power. And .. when you turn to 'start' .. the X power part is bypassed... and only the 15 ign on power is present and avaliable to the rest ( like for the igntion system ) of the van during starting cranking ... The key buzzer part .. is very handy for operating a relay to power a radio .. it's a cheater Accessory Position that way .....you can be sure your radio is fully off when you park the car and take the key with you ..yet you can run the radio, like when you're partying with the engine off, without having to have the ignition on. All you need i s'key in' to have your phoney Accessory Position .. and actaully .. VW is pretty cleaver at times -that's how my 93 Eurovan is wired stock from the factory for the factory installed radio.

This is why the healights go out if they are on when you turn the key to start. Wipers are powered by X voltage too.

If you usedyour 15 power ( black wire that used to go to the coil) to operatea relay .. and you wire dthat relay correctly ... I can not see how that would not work as you envision.

and your basic idea if fine. I do that commonly lately ..then you use a small signal to control bigger currents. For subaru conversions with aftermarket high torque starters.. now I just use the start signal from the igntion key to energize a subaru relay ... then the bigger wires on that relay send voltage to the starter trigger terminal on the starter solenoid.

there is oddness about the blue wire for altnernator warning circuit .. if you have the aux battery relay under the drver's seat .... it's incredibly clever how VW wired that relay .. what they wanted was charging voltage goes to the Aux battery ..but only after the alternator is charging .. super smart. If you measure what is on the blue wire at the relay under the seat .. with key on it's one state .. and after engine is running and alternator is charging , it turns into what it needs to be to energize that relay.. and is even tangled up with the starter solenoid circuit some . I saved an email on that from mr drillock .. My point is .. weird stuff can happen if you use that blue wire circuit in an odd way. Also .. about your parking brake thing .. perhaps you need a diode somewhere in your circuit. and I would expect that the '15' wire going to a regular 4 wire relay and wired correctly would not have a problem.

I would 'start all over' on your whole power supplyto coil and ecu myself.

SU stands for Skinner Union .. as SUcarbs where first made in Merry Old by a company that made plumbing parts . a bit of Automotive trvia that comes up and now and then.

S.

On 1/24/2013 6:37 PM, neil n wrote: > Hi all. > > This is something I've been meaning to do for a while now. > > I installed a Jetta 2.0 in '81 air cooled Vanagon. A while back, I > shunted in a new #10 wire from ign. switch 15 to the Jetta coil and > ECU. In the A3 Bentley, a #10 wire runs to the Jetta coil and ECU. I > assume this means they draw more current than the air cooled coil did. > My concern is that the 30 -> 15 path in the Vanagon switch isn't meant > to handle the extra current. > > I removed my door buzzer relay a long time ago. The "Su" position in > the ignition switch is unused. > > If I can find the buzzer, I could measure the current draw and compare > to a relay, but would the Su position be sufficient to power a relay > that would switch 30 power to the Jetta coil and ECU? Is this a > reliable path within the ign. switch? > > Neil. > > -- > Neil n > > 65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp > > '88 Slate Blue Westy to be named. > > '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group: > > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >