Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jan 2013 20:58:06 -0600
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Scott: common knowledge?
Comments: To: JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

My winter experience based on NY State winter driving is that the thermostat is not a sensitive as you would suppose, at least this was true on the 1970's. And in the winter when the temperature would drop to 20F & lower the engine would never reach operating temperature & this is with a thermostat that tested perfectly good & did a great job of keeping the engine at the right temperature range. And this was true with all of our cars except for Mercedes.

All I can figure is the Engineers designed the cooling systems to be very responsive at higher temperatures at the expense of operating in very low temperatures. Our solution was to drop sheets of cardboard just like the earlier post suggested & the cardboard trick worked great. And once you knew your car you know how much of the radiator to cover up.

But now it seems that things have changed. My Wife works for Chrysler in Wisconsin. We have driven a string of new Chryslers up there & I can report that the cardboard trick is not needed, at least not with those cars.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.kegkits.com www.grow-sun.com