Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Jan 2013 15:50:28 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ignition Switch "Su" Power
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

ok.. you're powerng the ecu directly from the ign switch. and the coil through a relay. sure, give it a shot.

tell me this .. do you have your main power input to the ecu fused ?

( as you probaby know, the 15 circuit on a vanagon is not fused at all, anywhere.. Most cars are like this on the igntion circuit btw ...or atleast before cars got crazy complicated. )

In subaru conversions both types of power are fused ...

The reason I mention this is ... how much current do you figure your ECU draws ? I wouldn't know myself really, but I can get an idea from ( same year as you ) ...93 / 94 Subaru wiring diagrams and conversion information.

One diagram I have shows the 'main hot' coming out of the Main Relay to power the ecu with a 30 amp fuse. You have a main relay there ...so that wire probably is the high current feed to your ecu.

As your drawing is currently .. the 'other' power feed to the ecu is unfused. ..

so that is 3 'powers' ..1 to coil, 1 small one to ecu, and one large one to the ecu via the main relay. I have a diagram here for a 93 subaru legacy .. and it has the *exact* same thing .. one wire to coil ..and that one is shown fused with 1amps. ..and actually that power, hot with key on, goes 3 places ...coil, fuel pump relay, and one single wire to the ecu. Fused at 15 amps.

then there is a single 'hot at all times' input onone wire to the ecu .shown fused at 10amps.

then .....there is the bigger current input to the ecu ..via the Main Relay .. the power feed that is teh Main relay .. and the power that runs the fuel pump ..that wire, hot at all times, is shown fused at 30amps.

that tells me ecu plus fuel pumpload might be ....say 25 amps.

my whole point is .. I wouldn't draw a lot of power through the 15 wire, and I wouldn't do it unfused either.

and actually I fixed one subaru conversion done very sloppily ... it 'ran' but it didn't act very right. Someone had wired it so all the main power feeds .. such as fuel pump load and ecu load .. where all being drawn through the 15 wire, It sure liked getting that straightened out !

of course ....without looking at the diagrams I assume thejetta fuse box protected some of this . but I doubt you have that jetta fuse box in your vanagon .. and those things could stand to be fuse-protected. If I was going to run anything 'direct' with the 15 wire .. I'd do the coil.

have fun ! scott

On 1/26/2013 2:12 PM, neil n wrote: > And for the sake of clarity, and to beat this dead horse..... ;) > > Here's a diagram showing the Vanagon ign. switch and how I want to use > a relay to power up the Jetta coil. Jetta ECU connections would remain > OEM. > > https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Q2d2rA95LmQ/UQRT-unNieI/AAAAAAAAGsU/B-2qRCzOhaw/s720/Jetta%2520ABA%2520Coil%2520Wire%2520Redesign.jpg > > Thanks and sorry for dragging this out so far! > > Neil. > >>> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote: >>>> Neil, would you mind explaining in words of one syllable what it is you're >>>> trying to accomplish? > > -- > Neil n > > 65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp > > '88 Slate Blue Westy to be named. > > '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group: > > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >