Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jan 2013 21:55:49 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wire Damage from Rodent(s)
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

There is no way to keep mice out of a Westy just sitting .. especially in any woodsy or 'sheds' type area. Totally asking for them to move in.

I get those yellow triangular boxes of mouse poison at the grocery store. Ever shed I have has one .. ..under and behind something. cars that don't get driven ... have one .. either on a front floor, or near a rear taillight ( vanagons ) on my chevy truck I keep one on the intake manifold.

this works really well. if you see the blue pellets scattered ....you know.

I have never had a mouse or rat crawl off somewhere and rot and stink or anything like that. They just seem to dissappear. If you smell a urin-ey smell ..that's usually a nest.

don't sweep or vaccum the teuds. spray 'em down with chlorox ....so it's a mud with no airborne particles possible. People have died in a few cases - hanta-virus. wash hands thoroughly. etc.

ALL undisturbed spaces need to be aired out .. mouse poison left in them etc. works for me anyway !

On 1/22/2013 8:42 PM, neil n wrote: > Well, two things I did that REALLY didn't help > > 1. left the engine lid off for a while > 2. never buttoned up the fresh air ram intake project I started at > time of engine swap. i.e. that grill never got put back on. > > image: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pPZ4oE30zCw/UPw5UpPgZZI/AAAAAAAAGpY/zvDhbX-iUTw/s720/air%2520intake.jpg > > I just left a half baked flap installed in there that I'd fully > intended to wire to a lever at the dash. > > Looking at things today, I bet it's even possible the lil bugger got > in the rectangular hole at the front pillar (shown in image) but > that's unlikely. > > I would choose to play loud Maynard Ferguson. ;) > > Really though. > > Mouse traps. (thought; tie the trap down!) One of those things that > emits a high pitched sound. A solid mouser cat. Female and hungry. > > I'm not want to kill things, but right now, I'd be hard pressed to not > drop a brick or 5 on any rodent in or around my bus. And that includes > those "cute" squirrels. (aka tree rats) Ok. Rant off now. > > ;^) > > Neil. > > On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 8:33 PM, Tom Carchrae <tom@carchrae.net> wrote: >>> Needless to say, try not to let this happen to you! >> >> begs the question; what do you do to stop it? >> >> - van cat >> - mouse traps >> - poisonous washer fluid >> - sonic terrors >> - drive the van and play loud rock and rolll >> >> > > > -- > Neil n > > 65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp > > '88 Slate Blue Westy to be named. > > '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group: > > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >