Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Jan 2013 19:52:11 -0700
From:         Richard A Jones <Jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Buses by the Bridge trip photos

We drove our '81 air-cooled Vanagon from Boulder to Lake Havasu City, AZ, to Buses by the Bridge. We camped in our Splitty tent; it was a hit.

Some pictures are at: http://tinyurl.com/b9ec3fb or the top link on my home page at http://jones.colorado.edu

Since it was our 4th BBB, we didn't take many photos of the event. Larry and Maggie took lots of good ones, though, and I have a link in one caption.

There were 339 buses, including 74 Vanagons this year. Only one Splitty tent. ;-)

Mr Bus did 2205 miles total, almost all on interstate highways at 60-80 mph. Sixteen mpg, which isn't bad for those speeds. We depended on the gas heater at the beginning; it was 5 below zero in Santa Fe the first night. At 160,000 miles, Mr Bus is always ready for another trip. Woe to those who predicted we would have to fly home!

Mr Bus was outfitted with new General Altimax 205/70R14s which have been recommended by Dennis Haynes. I second his recommendation. They are very, very slightly smaller in diameter than the stock 185R14s, but 8/10th of an inch or so wider. They are far superior to the Hankooks I took off--ride, noise, stability--all better.

Driving Mr Bus and camping in the Splitty tent is fun. Driving the Westy Syncro with the Subie 2.5 and camping in it is even more fun! Mr Bus made a one-time appearance at BBB.

Richard