Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jan 2013 09:55:36 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rear Whell Bearings Adjustment
Comments: To: WILLIAM WITZ <pbwitz@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

In my experience the rear wheel bearings on a Vanagon will usually have a little play in them even when new. If they aren't making noise, and the play doesn't seem excessive, then I just leave them alone. There isn't a spec on the manual that I know of beside the torque spec for installing the rear nut. If you have a torque wrench that goes that high, all I can say is you are probably working on farm tractors, big rigs or tanks. I don't have one so I usually torque mine down with a piece of pipe and me standing on it at a certain distance to get the proper torque. If you have never done the rear wheel bearings before, you really want a small shop press to do them. If you don't have one of those the best thing would be to take the bearings and rear housing to a machine shop and let them install the bearings for you.

Hope this helps,

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com Phone: 856-327-4936 Fax: 856-327-2242

On 1/22/2013 6:48 PM, WILLIAM WITZ wrote: > So I do not remember the last time I replaced my rear wheel bearings, so I > jacked up the van and checked the play at 12:00 and 6:00 on the wheel with a > Dialindicator. The play was .007 not a lot but is your advice on this play. > Their is no noise at the bearings at this time. My Bentley says 360 Ft. lbs.why > so much? Bentley also says after you torque to 360 and move nut to next slot. I > assume this means back off nut? > Thanks, Bill Witz, Tiico with A2 fuel rail on 84 Westy happy with my inline 4 > had it for 7 years hopefully 15 more. > > > ----- > No virus found in this message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > Version: 2013.0.2890 / Virus Database: 2639/6052 - Release Date: 01/23/13 > >