Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jan 2013 22:34:56 -0800
From:         Michael Hart <mjhart853@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Trip Report: Baja California over Xmas/New Year (Part 1)

I'm finally getting around to posting a report on our trip to Baja California over Xmas & new Year in our '87 2WD Westy. Firstly thanks go to all of you that offered advice before & during the trip; notably Mark Drillock who gave us a rough itinerary & great suggestions on places to stay plus several of you helping out when I reported a wheel bearing problem. In the end, the wheel bearing was good again after a simple grease re-pack and peen nut adjustment & our Westy performed flawlessly over the 2,600 mile trip. More technical info & statistics later. We mixed camping with motel stays, partly due to the weather & partly due to my wife getting the flu. Overall a great Westy destination, open roads, beautiful campsites on the beaches & in the high deserts. A very quiet time of year, many places closed for the winter & no problems getting campsites or rooms in any location. No security issues whatsoever, so don't be scared to go (we didn't spend much time in Tijuana). Highlights -  Whale watching tour at Ojo de Liebre -  Antonio's Ecolodge at Laguna de San Ignacio -  Beach camping at Bahia de los Angeles - Central desert scenery (Highway 1 west turn-off to Bahia de los Angeles) - The open road, few vehicles, just a two lane highway heading off into the desert.... - Friendly people wherever we went; generally very considerate drivers in Baja - Great, fresh (& cheap) seafood - Overall good weather - no rain south of the border, daytime highs in the high 60s & 70s (~20-25C), but cold at night. Much better than the heavy winter storms that battered the Bay Area whilst we were gone. Lowlights - Crazy traffic on I-5 southbound on our 1st day & in the Los Angeles basin (up to 16 lanes of high-speed traffic vs. the two lane highway in most of Baja) - 3 hour queue at the San Ysidro (Tijuana/San Diego) border crossing back to the US - Immigration mess at the Border entry point; time wasted getting our mexican tourist cards (& then they were never checked) - Sanitary facilities on the beaches (pit toilets & not much else) - Cold El Norte winds blowing for several days, more than usual according to the locals. Best beach camping spots - Laguna Ojo de Liebre (whale birthing lagoon on Pacific coast near Guerrero Negro) - Bahia de los Angeles (Sea of Cortez) Statistics - 2,625 miles, 1,600 in Baja California, 500 miles each way to the US/Mexican border in the first & last days. - Total driving time: 56 hours - Average MPH: 47; Average MPG: 17 - Breakdowns: none (except a stop to re-pack front wheel bearing) - Stuck in sand: Once; road to San Ignacio Lagoon - Best road surface: Mexico Highway-1 (Toll) Tijuana to Ensenada (4 lane new highway); Parts of Mexico Highway-1 (2 lane highway, newly resurfaced in places). - Worst road surface: I-5 & I-405 through LA (horrible broken up concrete surface) - Worst traffic: 200 miles & 6 hours of stop & go on I-5 in Central CA southbound Saturday 12/22; 3 hour wait at the northbound San Ysidro US border crossing 01/03 - Vanagons seen in Baja: 7:  - Grey (Ontario?) 2WD Westy in Ensenada, White CA 2WD Westy & Grey CA 2WD Country Homes Camper at BdlA, Gold Ontario 2WD Westy in San Ignacio,  - Grey Westy on the beach south of Mulege, Blue early Westy rotting in a field near Mulege, Grey Vanagon GL heading south on Highway-1,   Description of the route and link to photos at Shutterfly will follow in part 2. Mike '87 2WD Westy "T3WESTY" Palo Alto, CA