Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jan 2013 12:23:24 -0700
From:         miguel pacheco <mundopacheco@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Baja Trip
Comments: To: Finn Runyon <finnrunyon@gmail.com>

Finn, I have driven into Mexico multiple times. I've entered through Laredo and driven to Mexico City. Most of my trips have been entering through Nogales, driving through Hermosillo, then to San Carlos, and south along the coast. My longest trip has been down to La Manzanilla, about 125 south of Puerto Vallarta. I have not taken the ferry across, to Baja, but I can tell you about the roads. First, I will repeat what you will hear over and over. Do not drive at night. That is rule #1, though I've broken that rule more than once. The roads have little or no shoulder and, often, there are no guardrails where you would expect. The curves will curve more than what we Americanos think is safe. The Topes (speedbumps,) are often severely tall.....announced by signs, or not. Pedestrians, livestock, bicycles will be encountered in the most unlikely places. Decrease your traveling speed for safety. It is important that you manage wisely, your logistics in this part of Mexico. Get on the road at sunup and have a solid plan for that night's camp. You don't want to be driving around in the dark looking for a place to camp. If you were in Baja, this would not be as much of an issue as the camping opportunities are more numerous. All that said, I don't find these Mexican roads very bad, as far as surface conditions are concerned. Be very careful in construction zones, as they don't take the time to put out signs where you would expect they are necessary. If you go through Hermosillo, get through it as fast as possible and do not stop here to camp. It does not have a very good reputation (amongst the Mexican locals.) I have never encountered a scarey moment in Mexico, but you should be careful. I speak fluent Spanish so it's a bit easier for me overall. It's also safer to travel in a small caravan....strength in numbers! San Carlos has plenty of nice camping, especially if you can get on top of the sand dunes, south of town. Moving along, I've had nice camps in San Blas, Chacala, Sayulita.....in La Manzanilla there are lots of private properties, right on the beach, just north of town, where the crocodile farm is. I asked one of the caretakers about camping and he hooked us up with our private camping....amazing beach!

Miguel