Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Jan 2013 14:51:29 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hello
Comments: To: Dean Staltare <predsmaniac@GMAIL.COM>

Dear Rambling.. on your shift linkage not having any reverse lock-out feature .. ( normal is push down to get over to where reverse is ) , what I find is that those plastic ball like things in the base of the shifter wear .. and the shift lever sits a little bit lower than it should.

this allows in bottom end of the shifter to move past the metal part in the Shift Box under the floor of the van without having to push down on the shifter. If you drop the spare tire and stick your head up in there you can see into the shift box where this takes place. Any time you are near that area, spray lube it with some good stuff.

also spray lube those white ball things under the rubber shift boot.

I had some custom spacer plates made that make the shift lever sit just a tad higher than it did .. in at least one van that restored the 'push-down-to-get-reverse' featuer.

if those white plastic ball things are worn those can still be gotten new - Van Cafe probably.

Lots of 85 Westy's have that kind of miles on the ....pretty common that I've seen.

starter thoughts - Perhaps a cheap rebuilt starter was put in. I only use Bosch rebuilds myself. the 86 and up manual trans starter for a 2.1 waterboxer engine fits and is a little stronger . Sometimes I install those in an 83 to 85with a 1.9 waterboxer engine like yours. B sure to check the starter bushing in thebell housing when the starter is out .. they wear , but not real badly, but should be checked for sure.

fwiw ..my own 85 Adventurewagon has always had chronic 'weak starter syndrome' a little.. It's interesting to note that in 86 VW put in a considerably larger main battery cable from batt to starter. I accomplished much the same thing by adding a very heavy duty extra wire, to parrallthe stock batt-to-starter battery cable. Now I have great starter cranking. More and more I am leaning toward a starter booster relay, so the igntion switch only has to carry a tiny amount of current in the 'start' position. It's not uncommon for the ign swtich to get tired eventually .. and pulling full starter solenoid load though it on that one wire and contact eventually gets to be a bit much for the 28 year old stock wire. A simple starter booster relay transcends that whole issue. I don't recommend the large 'big round solenoid type' either ..just a small typical 3 or 4 wire 20 or 30 amp Bosch relay .

welcome ! scott www.turbovans.com

On 1/30/2013 2:29 PM, Dean Staltare wrote: > Hello all, though I joined a few months ago I never introduced myself > and our new Westy to this group. We are from Central Florida and > recently purchased a1985 Westfalia Vanagon;incidentally she has the > original fuel lines which are finally being upgraded to ethanol standard > lines. She has issues but has the original motor and 4 speed manual > Transmission. The engine has much pep and the tranny is quite > tight,although the nylon gizmo or whatever that thing is called that > prevents one from accidentally shifting into reverse is worn out and > needs replacement. > > Our mechanic is a local Volvo legend (going on 35 years locally)and has > quite a bit of experience with the VW buses and Westy's... thank > goodness. The vehicle is all original even the porpane tank and sink > still work but upgrades will take place after full mechanics and a/c > have been set right. Then a new set of larger tires and shocks and > finally we will attend to that rusted kitchen panel and all...going to > cut that old one out and replace it with a new panel. > > The odometer reads 228k miles but I 'suspect' a new odometer has been > put in. Further inspection by my mechanic may prove this to be true. > She came with limited receipts but all the original manuals are > accounted for including the camping module one. Apparently we are the > 3rd owner. The dreaded or so called rebuilt starter needs to be > replaced also which looks to be rather new....after researching the > archives here the term rebuilt has new meaning to me now...haaaa! > > Hopefully this all makes sense....sorry for my ramblings. > Anyway's greetings to all and I look forward to your sage advise and > interesting Westy stories in the future. Hopefully very soon I will > post some trip reports myself. > > Ciao Dean > -- > "Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the > liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally > corrupt." --Samuel Adams (1749) >