Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Jan 2013 22:35:39 -0500
From:         Peter Krogh <peter@PETERKROGH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Does this look like a fuel leak?

Thanks everybody. It's a luxury to have a group like this.

Thanks Scott for the instructions on activating the fuel pump. That's exactly what I want to do.

The van is sitting safely in a garage, and I won't drive it (much) until I figure out what's up. If necessary, I can take it to my other cars' mechanic.

The extra fire extinguisher is handy, and I made note of how to shoot it into the engine compartment from below.

All hoses and clamps seemed tight and leak free when inspected from top and bottom. All the hoses and clamps were replaced over the summer with OEM style parts from either Van Cafe or one of the other reputable shops (not sure which one was used). The work was done by someone who knows Vanagons, but anyone can make mistakes.

I'm wondering about fuel injector seals. As I look at the engine with a strong flashlight, it looks like the fuel stain on the heads/covers could easily be coming from where the injectors attach. Same with the slipperiness on the bottom side of the hoses and rails. I assume that the injectors were pulled to put on new hoses, and maybe the seals were not replaced. It makes more sense to me than mystery hose leaks on both sides of the engine.

I have not looked at Bentley, but from the looks of it externally, seal replacement seems like an easy proactive repair. Will order.

I'll go ahead and order the crimper too, so I can touch those up too.

Peter