Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Feb 2013 22:04:41 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Homemade muffler
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

The packing material eventually gets carboned up some.. reducing the noise ssuppression factor. I have nothing against baffle type mufflers. I do use a glass pack after a diesel turbo though ...seems to last and work just fine.

On 2/4/2013 9:55 PM, Alistair Bell wrote: > Neil, > > I picked up two 3 foot lengths of the perf tube about 13-14 years ago at a metal scrap yard. Yup, I have been procrastinating about making a muffler for that long. The 6" tubing for the can I got last fall at another scrap yard. The 2" tubing were off cuts from a steam line install in a lab I worked in.... it all adds up. > > The stock wbx muffler is a baffle type unit, I think. I wasn't certain that a flow through with packing, like I made, would be quiet enough, but it is. Probably the heavy guage components helps absorb some of the sound/vibrations. > > alistair > > > > On 2013-02-04, at 8:49 PM, neil n wrote: > >> Perforated SS pipe? Sounds like an exotic piece of "scrap" to have >> kicking around. ;^) >> >> Nice work Alistair! >> >> Though I didn't make a muffler, I did some more exhaust fabrication >> recently. Suffice it say, I really appreciated what you've done! >> >> Is the stock WBX muffler of a similar design? >> >> Neil. >> >> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote: >>> This last weekend I finally realised a dream of a lifetime :) Yes, I installed my homemade muffler in my van. Pics and a wee video with sound here: >>> >>> http://shufti.wordpress.com/2013/02/04/vanagon-home-made-muffler-installed/ >>> >>> alistair