Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Feb 2013 09:18:18 -0600
From:         Jarrett Kupcinski <kupcinski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Friday Philosophy: On Fixing Things Right

This past week I finally got around to fixing a couple of sheet fed-scanners we use in the office. They were both making horrible clacking noises, but eventually I got the scanners whirring quietly again, much to the nurses’ joy. The magical fix? A couple pads made from multiple layers of scotch tape, wedged next to one of the axles.

You’re not supposed to mend high tech equipment with a few cents worth of generic office supply. But similar things happen on my Vanagon from time to time. My instrument cluster is held together with a few drywall screws. And wired together with cat-5 cable. Some holes in the body are patched with riveted sheet metal. Some of the paint is rattle-can Rustoleum. I am somewhat embarrassed to admit these things, not because my van isn’t a Go-Westy premium blend, but because these fixes weren’t done right. Some might say I fixed things right when I replaced my zip-tied headlight adjustment screws with a South African Grill. Of course it was expensive. But done right.

On the other hand, those simple home-brew fixes all work. The problems have been solved and I’ve moved on with life, so by that measure they are “right.” But using scotch tape or a found screw seems a bit like cheating or somehow improper. Like maybe I’ll regret it later.

I'll admit I'm a bit conflicted. When I start a project I sometimes wonder what some of the smart folks out there in List-land would say. Probably something like, “Back away from the JB Weld, sir.” Fortunately I usually have enough confidence (just enough!) to go ahead with my plans. And so Olly keeps trucking along.

On TheSamba forums, the phrase "fix it right" appears over 7000 times. It occurs about 1400 times in relation to Vanagons, and most frequently as an admonishment. As in, "Quit being a cheap bastard and fix it right, you idiot!" For the record, the phrase "fix it right" doesn’t (or didn’t) appear once in the history of the List Archives according to Google. That might say something about the tolerance of the list community, and possibly indicate why I generally enjoy hanging out here.

Jarrett Olly, 89 Westy powered by Bostig (and held together with duct tape)