Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Feb 2013 11:42:16 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday Philosophy: On Fixing Things Right
Comments: To: Jarrett Kupcinski <kupcinski@gmail.com>

I think it depends totally on the "thing" and the amount of "broken"....Like my van, not a gold-plater or a Go-Westie total reso...by any stretch of the imagination....it came with a poor bit of bodywork done on the slider door...Kinda wavy looking and a few paint cracks....'good enough' for me, so I have never 'fixed it' properly. I have a few air leaks in my door and window moldings...so what? Doesn't freeze me out or bother me much with the noise...so I don't fix it.....But....my brakes weren't great, my suspension was a bit less accurate than I like, so I fixed those right away, and to the best of my ability....better than brand new, I imagine. That was important to me...how the van does it's job for me and whether any of it's many faults are going to cause harm to me or anyone else if not fixed "right".

Back when I worked in a yacht yard we would get customers who'd come in and want things fixed....They would be surprised at the cost to fix something right.....and say something like..."Well, just put a couple of new fastenters in there and call it good..."....but when that boat may have been sailing offshore in a storm and could have sunk...because something was just "fixed" good enough to please the owner and save him some cash, but not fixed 'right'.....No, couldn't do that, especially since yacht owners are often quite 'suit-happy' and they'd have come back with a lawsuit in a heartbeat if their wife died sailing a boat we'd fixed 'good enough'

People have very different agendas when it comes to 'stuff'.....for some, the 'Stuff' is the important part and for others, the Stuff enables them to do something, only reason they have it.

One of the thinks I like about Vanagons is you can own one for many reasons...some like to mess with em, some like to use em, some are 'stuck with em'....(fewer of that last group since they have become a bit trendy) Don Hanson