Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Feb 2013 11:24:59 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Homemade muffler
Comments: To: Zeitgeist <gruengeist@GMAIL.COM>

Yeah, it was more of a lark rather than a serious project. But it worked out ok and the material costs were low.

I packed the lathe swarf "packing material" pretty firmly. It doesn't rattle. If I had wanted to mimic what commercial makers sometimes do, I would have tried to find some fine weave SS mesh (almost like fine steel wool) to wrap directly around the perf tube, and then use the larger ss shavings to fill the rest of the can.

I'm sorry I can't give you tig machine advice. I'm lucky to be able to use a Miller Dynasty 350 (north of $7k) and a water cooled torch. That machine has a lot of variables/settings, makes some things a lot easier.

cheers

alistair