Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Feb 2013 12:36:11 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Steering. Re: P 48.14 Measurement "a"
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

hi, looks to me like it would be nice if they pin there stuck through the hole further .. When I have that issue 'I think' what I do is loosen that bolt on the clamp and move that part down over the pins a little further.

Reading what it says in Bentley to me seems to be about if the two sides arenot equal and parallel .. ( and their solution is shim where the steering collumn is held to the bottom of the dash ) . I have never had to do thaton any vanagon.

so ..again .. what actual problem areyou trying to fix ? Stiff steering ? I have almost never seen that in a vanagon ( not talking about heavy steering due to lack of power steering ) .. Once in a great while a ball joint will get stiff .. I worked on one syncro van ..the worst rust bucket in the world almost .. super stiff steering....the usual approach on that symptom is to undo a tie rod end or two and see which side is ccausing the stiffness , tho like I said .. very rare in a vanagon. On that van there was something very stiff or wrong in the left front suspension, like a ball joint. The dics brake splash shield sheet metal part was just 'gone' too ...rusted away until not there any more. Can you spell 'death trap.' ?

about steering wheel centering with an alignment. There is sometimes confusion about this. What is right is to choose a point with the steering wheel to call center ..and align from there. One guy I know who does alingments full time says he takes out the key ...turns the wheel until the steering locks on center .. positions the steering wheel on the shaft to be centered too .. then on the suspension ...'center' both sides with the tierods ... it can all come out exactly right that way. that locking collar has nothing to do with steering centering as far as I know.

you can get where one spline on the steering shaft is still a tiny bit off center ... then you tweak on the tie rod lengthto get it perfect. There's nicemental gymnastics involved with that. Say steering wheel is just off a bit to the right ... you next measure toe ....say it's not perfect ...like a tiny bit more toe-ed in than desired .. you figure out which tie rod to lenthen or shorten ( or if toe is exactly right ..then it's shorten one, lengthen the other ) .. but say it's toe-ed in just a smidge more than ideal .. I exaggerate in my mind ...ok if wheels are way toe-ed ....lengthing 'this' particular tie rod willmove the steering wheel 'this' way . Lots of fun.

Centering thesteering wheel is part of a real alignement...and I have also read about cases where the techician told the customer the steering wheel can't be centered ( like it was before ) due to something like the crown or tilt in the road ..which is total bull.

So ..what actual problem are you trying to improve on ? if it's stiff steering ...( assuming non-power steering ) get the front wheels off the ground ..the steering should travel full left to full rightquite smoothly.

Also ..non-power steering vanagons steer much more lightly with lots of tread on the front tires, than they do with semi-wornout front tires. Very noticeable affect to me.

real long here so I wont' talk about a different syncro van I drove on which the steering had little or no natural self-centering. And if you're drivin' straight, and you put in say 5 degrees of rudder angle at the steering wheel, and let go, it should come right back to straight byitself nicely. We don't even notice this affect usually ..vanagons are really good about it. scott www.turbovans.com

On 1/31/2013 8:08 PM, neil n wrote: > Well lets be honest. Nothings going to help me. Me with this crazy > nutty Vanagon Addiction and all. ;^) > > Scott: What bugs me is that the locking collar (don't know correct > term) appears to be close to the end of the shaft. But I see your > point; if that part were really cockeyed, the steering would be > stiffer. > > A better picture of what I mean. Blue arrow points to end of the > "locking collar": > > https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gVkK8CVJ9xk/UQro3rJcwwI/AAAAAAAAGuc/efvSeyJiwV4/s720/Upper%253Alower%2520Steering%2520column%2520adjust.jpg > > Maybe that's the normal position of that collar? > > It steers ok, but every little bit helps. > > One thought. Maybe the alignment guy used that locking collar to > adjust the steering wheel to centre after doing the toe adjustment? > Highly UNLIKELY and AFAIK that method would be incorrect, but IF he > did, maybe he allowed the upper column to slip out a bit thus allowing > for a larger "a" gap? > > Like I said though. Highly unlikely. > > Neil. > > > >