Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Feb 2013 14:23:16 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Noisy Valve lifters
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

Well, I've never had a foaming or oil pressure issue in five VW vans and eight engines filling to the mark. Probably 300,000 miles. If your oil is seriously foamed, the pump will likely lose prime, your pressure will drop to zero, and your engine is toast.

It would be fun to heat up some oil to 200 degrees and whip it up in the blender just to see what happens. (Off to Goodwill for a blender . . . .) ;-0

Years ago a production VW engine rebuilder told me he thought the lifter problem is due to one or more of the following: Inadequate pressure or flow at the lifter bore (design flaw with the oil passages or worn lifter bores), a clogged oil hole in the lifter body, and lifter leak down due to excessive clearance in the lifter assembly. Of course, if a lifter never pumps up it's a stuck or broken lifter and it will take out the cam lobe in a few thousand miles or less.

There is certainly nothing wrong with your method though.

Stuart

-----Original Message----- From: mcneely4@cox.net [mailto:mcneely4@cox.net] Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 10:53 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM; Stuart MacMillan Subject: Re: [VANAGON] Noisy Valve lifters

Stuart, a large cadre of list members is convinced that the oil foams and overheats, thereby losing pressure and failing to lubricate if it is filled to the mark. One thing I have noticed is that if I fill to the mark, then drive until the coolant temperature gauge is at the LED on the gauge, the oil will be above the dipstick mark. I have not seen foaming, though I have looked for it. That suggests to me that VW meant for the oil to be checked when the engine was at operating temperature, not cold. So, I fill halfway to the top mark, and check it when warmed up, then top it up if needed. Thereafter until I change the oil again, I adhere to the halfway point if checking cold, to the mark if checking at operating temperature. Works for me. mcneely

---- Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Not enough people do, nor do they change oil until the light goes on. That’s what it’s for, right? I’ve never had a problem with slight overfilling in the WBX, but it seems to be something VW is very concerned about. My EVC had extensive warnings about not overfilling the VR-6 engine too. Obviously foaming up the oil with a churning crankshaft is very, very bad, and needs to be avoided. Modern oils have anti-foam additives now though, so I wonder what the real risk is today.